none
MDT 2013 refresh scenario RRS feed

• Question

• Guys - I am strictly using MDT/WDS for deployment.

I have created a standard task sequence and able to deploy Windows 8.1 to bare-metal machines using just pxe and boot isos.

However, I am trying to get USMT with hardlinking to work. I have read that this should automatically work if you kick the Litetouch.vbs from the desktop. I have done this, but USMT is not automatically restoring the files (created simple text files on the desktop and mydocs). I have checked the USMT folder after the machine is imaged and I see the files in the profile.

I have not made any modifications to the customsettings.ini (boot.ini) related to USMT. Or modified the standard task sequence.

Any suggestions?

one last question. is there a way to pxe aboot nd get hardlink to work as well?

thanks!

-PD

Thursday, April 17, 2014 7:52 PM

All replies

• It's been a while but I believe you need to set the migration files in CS.ini.

Example:

[Settings]

Priority=Default

[Default]

OSInstall=YES
    ScanStateArgs=/v:5 /o /c
    LoadStateArgs=/v:5 /c /lac
    DeployRoot=\\NYC-AM-FIL-01\Distribution$
    ResourceRoot=\\NYC-AM-FIL-01\Resource$
    UDShare=\\NYC-AM-FIL-01\MigData$
    UDDir=%OSDComputerName%
    SLShare=\\NYC-AM-FIL-01\Logs$
    USMTMigFiles001=MigApp.xml
    USMTMigFiles002=MigUser.xml
    USMTMigFiles003=MigSys.xml
    USMTMigFiles004=MigCustom.xml
    UserDataLocation=NONE

I'll have to think about USMT hardlinking after a PXE boot. It's fairly easy to accomplish in ConfigMgr but I don't think I've ever done it with MDT Litetouch. (Remember, you can't format and partition the disk when using hardlinking.)

-Nick O.

• Edited by Nick Ourso Thursday, April 17, 2014 8:37 PM
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 8:34 PM
  • Hello

I have exact same problem .

have you found the solution to your question yet?

do you mind to share if you have? Thanks

Friday, March 16, 2018 11:47 PM
  • Hi Saeidans,

Hi,

This is a really old thread so I can't remember the exact details of my issue/resolution. However, USMT has changed a bit since I worked with it last.

The key to USMT is just the hardlink switch and the config files. Please refer to this link https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/usmt/usmt-hard-link-migration-store

What I recommend is that in your lab, just play with USMT on a test desktop (call the exe, config xml etc) so you're not spending a lot of time waiting on a task sequence to run.

Also, remember with USMT there files to tell it what/where to capture and what/where to restore too.

TIP: if you have AV on the system, be sure to suspend it before running any type of task sequence or scripts. I've seen AV block/change the backups/restores.

-PD

Monday, March 19, 2018 1:36 AM
  • Hello PD.

I am not sure how to use hard link in MDT. the refresh scenario in MDT should back up files first format the drive , install new OS and restore the data so keeping the data on same computer , hard link,would not be an option since the drive will be formatted I suppose.

thank you for your response anyway.

Monday, March 19, 2018 2:40 PM
  • Hi Saeidans,

I know it's confusing, but it might be helpful to look into the different types of scenarios. You might be thinking that you always need to reformat the computer, but you don't. There are a lot of different scenarios.

For a refresh scenario where you want to retain user data you can:

• Use hardlinking - just don't have a format step in your TS. Essentially all data you don't specifically specificy to keep will be wiped any way.
    • retaining user data and formatting - there may be some instances you need to format a system i.e., changing volumes, wiping viruses, old encryption etc. only way to do it is use a user state migration i.e., back up to a share and then restore after the image is laid down

hope this helps.

thanks,

-PD

Monday, March 19, 2018 5:16 PM