none
This application requires version 6.3.9600.16384 of the Windows ADK. Windows 8.1 PRO OEM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i am trying to sysprep a machine and i need to create the unattended xml file.I downloaded the Windows ADK for Windows 8.1 (update) and need to generate the answer file.Whenever i select the "install.wim" file from my Windows dvd (copied to a writeable destination) , it gives me an error  : "This application requires version 6.3.9600.16384 of the Windows ADK." .

I already found a forum post regarding this issue (https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/69cd6ddd-fab6-4986-bd70-52ce894f37c2/creating-unattendxml-for-windows-8?forum=mdt)  , saying that the Windows ADK for 8.1 PREVIEW is needed but this link is removed from the website.

Can i still download this version somewhere or what is the solution?I already tried to slip in some update packages in the wim file (following this link :  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn622020.aspx ) but no result, it seems that the version installed on my machine is not compatible with the newest 8.1 ADK.

I already tried to sysprep the machine with /oobe /generalize /shutdown (without an unattend xml file) , but when i reboot the system i get an error "windows could not parse or process the unattend answer file for pass [specialize]. a component or non-list settings is specified more than once in the answer file".

What is the solution for this problem ?

F.

Sunday, February 15, 2015 6:36 PM

All replies

• The link you presented above is a mess.

The idea of going back to the "PREVIEW" version of the ADK makes no sense to me, unless.. you are running a preview version. Which is silly.

Please be aware that there are *DIFFERENT* sub-build versions of the Windows 8.1. My version of the ntoskrnl.exe shows build 6.3.9600.17630.

Please be aware that there are also different versions of the Windows 8.1 ADK. If you are unsure if you have the latest version, please uninstall the ADK, and download again from MSFT.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Monday, February 16, 2015 6:39 AM
  • I am running version 6.3.9600.17029 of ADK.

I downloaded from this link https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39982

My version of ntoskrnl.exe shows 6.3.9600.17630.

The Windows installed is the one from the DVD i got with the machines (Fujitsu OEM Windows 8.1 PRO) .

If i take an iso file from MSDN (8.1 Enterprise) then ADK reads out the wim file.

Any directions to the solution ?

Monday, February 16, 2015 1:59 PM
  • is it obligatory to take the install.wim file from the dvd or can i just use another Windows 8.1 PRO wim file and adapt this one to create my unattend.xml file ?
    Monday, February 16, 2015 2:04 PM
  • hi to all, same indentical problem, update of packages doesn't fix:

2:23 PM : This application requires version 6.3.9600.16384 of the Windows ADK.
    Install this version to correct the problem
    2:33 PM :
    2:33 PM : Windows SIM was unable to generate a catalog. For troubleshooting assistance, see the topic: 'Windows System Image Manager Technical Reference' in the Windows ADK User's Guide.
    2:33 PM : System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): Unknown error (0xc1420117)

Server stack trace:
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.WimImageInfo.PostCreateCatalog()
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.OfflineImageInfo.CreateCatalog()
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.CatalogCreatorImpl.CreateCatalog(OfflineImageInfo offlineImageInfo)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Object[]& outArgs)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.ICatalogCreator.CreateCatalog(OfflineImageInfo offlineImageInfo)
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.CatalogGenerator.CreateCat(ProgressDialog pd, Object o)

Monday, February 22, 2016 1:40 PM
  • hi to all, same indentical problem, update of packages doesn't fix:

2:23 PM : This application requires version 6.3.9600.16384 of the Windows ADK.
    2:33 PM : Windows SIM was unable to generate a catalog. For troubleshooting assistance, see the topic: 'Windows System Image Manager Technical Reference' in the Windows ADK User's Guide.
    2:33 PM : System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): Unknown error (0xc1420117)

Server stack trace:
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.WimImageInfo.PostCreateCatalog()
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.OfflineImageInfo.CreateCatalog()
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.CatalogCreatorImpl.CreateCatalog(OfflineImageInfo offlineImageInfo)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Object[]& outArgs)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg)

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.ICatalogCreator.CreateCatalog(OfflineImageInfo offlineImageInfo)
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.CatalogGenerator.CreateCat(ProgressDialog pd, Object o)

I to have same problem while generating autounattend xml file for windows 10 iso image. I using ADK kit for windows 8.1 version 8.100.26866. please help. 
    Tuesday, May 16, 2017 9:31 AM
  • Has anyone found resolution to this issue.. I am also facing the similar issue...

Following is the error... trying to catalog "Windows 8.1 Embedded Industry Eval" using the eval version download from Microsoft website. Windows SIM Tool version is "6.3.900.17029".

2:18 PM : This application requires version 6.3.9600.16384 of the Windows ADK.
    2:18 PM :
    2:18 PM : Windows SIM was unable to generate a catalog. For troubleshooting assistance, see the topic: 'Windows System Image Manager Technical Reference' in the Windows ADK User's Guide.
    2:18 PM :
    2:18 PM : System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): Unknown error (0xc1420127)

Server stack trace:
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.WimImageInfo.PreCreateCatalog()

Thanks

RT

Saturday, December 9, 2017 9:00 AM
  • I got my machine reinstalled with Windows 8.1 32bit and then tried it. Earlier I was running it on Windows 8.1 64 bit and the image I was trying to build was of 32 bit. It is working now.

Thanks

RT

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 9:09 AM