none
Help! Adding quantities? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am by no means a project manager or anything of the sorts. My boss has asked that I learn how to run Project 2010 so we can use it to show our client the progress we have made. He wants the schedule to show the progress of "man hours" (work resources) as well as "quantities cleared". We work for a tree clearing company and need to show the progress of what we planned to clear vs how much we have cleared to date. I feel as though this is going to be impossible with this program as "quantities cleared" does not fall under work resources (its not a per hour thing, its a per Hectare thing), it is not a material, nor is it a cost.

So I guess my question is, is there any way that I can edit or make something work in my favour to have quantities cleared an option at all. It is measured in Ha.

I think this is a wonderful program for tracking work resources, but could really use some help if at all possible.

Thank you very much in advance for any help that you could give a poor field clerk!

Monday, November 12, 2012 6:44 PM

All replies

• Friczu,

Since neither you nor your boss is apparently familiar with Project, I'm wondering if there is a better approach. Specifically, is there a reason you want the scheduling features of Project? Could you perhaps prepare just as good a report for you and your client by using Excel, which is much more intuitive and user friendly?

Project can probably do what you want, but there is a learning curve to get results. I worked with a user several years ago that was using Project to plan agriculture fields. It included all the steps to set up a field and the quantities of material and labor to prepare, plant, grow and harvest, similar in some way to what you are doing. It was a rather unusual application for Project but it did work.

The above doesn't really answer your question but I'd like to establish a good reason why you think Project is the right choice before spending time guiding you through a potential process.

John

Monday, November 12, 2012 8:12 PM
  • Hello Friczu,

The best I can recommend is to use some spare number fields to track original quantity, another field for quantities cleared and then calculate the % cleared.

You should see in the task table (left side of the Gantt chart view) an "Add Column" field.  Add two number fields (Number 1, Number 2, for example) and one Text field (Text1).  Right click on the column heading for Number1, choose Custom Fields and rename the field "Total Hectares".  In the Calculation for Task and Group Summary rows, choose Rollup, Sum. Rename Number2 "Hectares Cleared". In the Calculation for Task and Group Summary rows, choose Rollup, Sum. Rename Text1 to "% Cleared" and click the formula button to add the following formula to Text1:

IIf(Number2=0,0 & " %",Number2/Number1*100 & " %")

In the Calculation for Task and Group Summary rows, choose "Use Formula"

You'll need to manually enter the values for Number1 and Number2 - but the % Cleared will calculate for you. 

I hope this helps.

Monday, November 12, 2012 8:17 PM
  • Sometimes the cost of a task is a piece rate such as laying bricks, or drilling a hole in the ground or clearing forest. The cost is so many $ per brick, or so many $ per metre of hole in the ground.

So you can just treat your acres as a material type resource.

Then assign it in the applicable units to the task named "clear 15 units of forest".

Monday, November 12, 2012 11:57 PM