none
What are the standards to create PWA sites? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I am about to create PWA sites. My Project server 2010 is named ProjectServer.

I would like to have my users go to http://projectserver.mycompany.com and view all the project web-sites pertaining to each department.

For example, IT department would then be http://projectserver.mycompany.com/it; Similarly HR would be http://projectserver.mycompany.com/hr; And finance would be http://projectserver.mycompany.com/fi and so on.

How would I create a toplevel PWA site http://projectserver.mycompany.com as a website containing links to multiple sub-sites?

Is it a good idea to have different sub-sites for different departments under a single PWA site or should each department have their own PWA sites?

Thank you!

Thursday, September 2, 2010 12:12 AM

Answers

• Well there are a few ways you could approach this. One way is to make subsite as you have suggested but the issue will be when creating a new project workspace, can you trust the user to ensure they specify the correct URL to create the site? If the answer is yes then this will work for you. You could even make seperate web applications so the user selects the porjeccserver.hr.com.au web application from the drop down instead but this still exposes you to potential user error.

Personally I think the best way to categorise Projects by department is by using the project enterprise fields and tagging the relevant meta data. One the projects are tagged correctly, you can easily customise your PWA views to group inofrmation by department or phase or owners or whatever information you prefer. If you require a Departmental structured team site then I would create this using pure SharePoint with the ability to link to the project sites and provide that seemless integration between the two portals.

However if the subsite design is what you require, you can easily extend the PSI funstionality to write an event handler for the site published event. I would force user to complete the department project custom field by making it madatory, create the site structure you described above, then when the event handler triggers, have some code which interrogates the department value of the project and refers to a lookup to then publish that project under the correct sub site for that Department. This may sound scary but I have done this for clients before and it is very reliable and achievable in a short amount of time. There is also some sample code to directly reference in the porject server SDK if you have access to a delveoper.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Piet Remen

Thursday, September 2, 2010 3:06 PM

All replies

• hi,rj squirrel

How to create top-level website?
    1. First of all, into the SharePoint2010 Management Center, click Setup Wizard -> Start Server Array Configuration Wizard -> Startup Wizard -> Next -> you can select and set a top level of your site.
    Cheers

Thursday, September 2, 2010 6:36 AM
  • Well there are a few ways you could approach this. One way is to make subsite as you have suggested but the issue will be when creating a new project workspace, can you trust the user to ensure they specify the correct URL to create the site? If the answer is yes then this will work for you. You could even make seperate web applications so the user selects the porjeccserver.hr.com.au web application from the drop down instead but this still exposes you to potential user error.

Personally I think the best way to categorise Projects by department is by using the project enterprise fields and tagging the relevant meta data. One the projects are tagged correctly, you can easily customise your PWA views to group inofrmation by department or phase or owners or whatever information you prefer. If you require a Departmental structured team site then I would create this using pure SharePoint with the ability to link to the project sites and provide that seemless integration between the two portals.

However if the subsite design is what you require, you can easily extend the PSI funstionality to write an event handler for the site published event. I would force user to complete the department project custom field by making it madatory, create the site structure you described above, then when the event handler triggers, have some code which interrogates the department value of the project and refers to a lookup to then publish that project under the correct sub site for that Department. This may sound scary but I have done this for clients before and it is very reliable and achievable in a short amount of time. There is also some sample code to directly reference in the porject server SDK if you have access to a delveoper.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Piet Remen

Thursday, September 2, 2010 3:06 PM
  • Hi Piet,

Thanks for your insights. I will now research on tagging the meta data and like the idea to create departments in SharePoint to display their respective projects in Project Server.

Cheers!

Thursday, September 2, 2010 11:54 PM