WIndows 7/Outlook 2010 Search Index location RRS feed

• Question

• This post was orginally in the OutLook forum but I was ask to move it to a Windows 7 forum.

Hi,

Our users are using Windows 7 with Office 2010 delivered using Citrix Xendesktop virtual desktops.  We are using roaming profiles and folder redirection and was wondering if there was any way of changing the Outlook index file locations from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft which is set by default to a users network home area.  The reason we need to do this is that when a user logs on the index is created but as the Windows 7 image is readonly when the user logs out and then logs back in Outlook 2010 has to re-create the index files (most frustrating).  I have found the option to change the area but it only display local drives and not network locations.

Is there any way I can do this to achieve our goal.

Thanks

Thursday, March 10, 2011 9:18 AM

All replies

• Hi,

you can change the Index location when you run this:

"C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe" C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL C:\Windows\System32\srchadmin.dll

In the advanced option you can set the location to a different path.

André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    • Proposed as answer by Joey Jackson Saturday, November 1, 2014 11:24 AM
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 2:53 PM
  • Hi Andre,

Thanks for your reply that allows me to change the location however it only lets me change to my local C drive but I need to set to the users home network drive because they are using VDI.

Thanks

Thursday, March 10, 2011 3:15 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in TechNet Forum.

Based on your description and after checked your original thread in Outlook forum. The main issue is you cannot add a network location in Windows Search Index, am I correct?

In this case, I recommend you add a non-indexed UNC as a library, also select "Always available offline" on your network drive. Follow these steps:

1. Create a folder on your hard drive for shares. i.e. c:\share

2. Create another folder in the above share. i.e. c:\share\programdata\microsoft

3. Make the Library includes this folder.

4. Delete the folder.

5. Use the mklink command in an elevated command prompt to make a symbolic link. Name the link the same as the folder you created above.

mklink /d c:\share\programdata\microsoft \\server\programdata\microsoft

6. OK. Now you have a non-indexed UNC path as library.

If this method is too complicated for you, here's a tool called Windows Desktop Search: Add-in for Files on Microsoft Networks could help you add the network location in Search Index. It also works on 32-bit Windows 7 computer.

Best Regards,

Miya Yao

TechNet Subscriber support in form. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, March 11, 2011 7:14 AM
  • Hi Miya,

The main issue I have is that I need to locate the index on a network drive instead of the default C:\ProgramData\Microsoft as my users use Virtual deskstops and everytime they logon it has to recreate the index as any changes to the C drive get erased on logoff.

Thanks

Friday, March 11, 2011 9:11 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks for your feedback.

As you know, by default, the location of indexing files (including Outlook indexing) is C:\ProgramData\Microsoft and can only be changed to local folders. The index files include computer-based information and must be secured. I think that is why the location cannot be roaming or configured to network locations.

To workaround this issue, you can consider to assign virtual machine personally, or share virtual machines in specific group of people. In Microsoft Virtual Desktop Infrasturastructure (VDI) solution, we call them Peronal Virtual Desktop and Virtual Desktop Pool. For these two methods, please refer to:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd941616(WS.10).aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd883265(WS.10).aspx

Regarding Citrix, please contact its support team to ensure if we can do it in a similar way. 

Thanks!

Regards,
    Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, March 11, 2011 4:08 PM
  • Hi,

How's going now?

Please feel free to give us any update.

Regards,

Miya

TechNet Subscriber support in form. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 7:48 AM
  • Hi Miya,

Sorry for the delay had a couple of days holiday.  Allocating personal virtual desktops isn't an option for us.  I was hoping there was a way to move the search onto a network drive location.  I wonder what other people do for my type of senario.  Is there any other MS forums that I could but this in to see if anyone else has experienced this and perhaps found a solution to.

Thanks

Thursday, March 17, 2011 1:54 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the update.

I'm trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Miya

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Friday, March 18, 2011 7:56 AM
  • Hi,

It is not allowed/supported to put the Index on Network drives.

Only local drives are supported.

You can use a 2nd non read-only disk to store index or use an iSCSI based network share -that will appear as local.

Sumesh P - Microsoft Online Community Support
    • Proposed as answer by Sumesh P Wednesday, March 30, 2011 10:26 AM
    Friday, March 25, 2011 12:07 PM
  • Sumesh,

I am trying to understand why outlook 2010 (Previous version where not)  which is supported to store PST on the network drive does not support indexing to be stored on network share.

Can you enlighten us ?

Thanks,

Funtoosh

Thursday, September 22, 2011 5:24 PM
  • Funtoosh,

Using a PST stored on a network drive was never supported. See the following KB article for further details and the only exception:

-Limits to using personal folders (.pst) files over LAN and WAN links
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297019/en-us

Regards,

Peter

Saturday, March 24, 2012 2:07 PM
  • Does this also happen with ROAMING profiles when I move from one machine to another (not Citrix - just ms W7 with OUTLOOK 2010 using EXCHANGE)?

Further questions:

?? is my index REBUILT when I log into a DIFFERENT machine??

?? does my index REMAIN on the new machine at loggout? How safe is that?

Does the index move from exchange to that machine? or is it rebuilt on the second machine?

I moved the INDEX on my "primary" machine.

Does it revert to using the DEFAULT folder on the second machine àC:\ProgramData\Microsoft\OutLookIndex

What happens when I “come back” to my original machine?

What happens if TWO (or more) machines are logged in and accessing OUTLOOK concurrently?

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 11:49 PM
  • We are also having this problem. Rebuilding search index every time takes many IO in our virtualize environment.

As roamin profile is using, can the index file locate to the folder which will sync with roaming profile during user logout?

If the index file can be kept in roaming profile, we need not worry the index file to be in network drive or rebuild during a new machine login.

Is that possible?

Ivan

Friday, May 24, 2013 2:09 AM
  • I can't speak for XenDesktop, but in VMware VDI, users have a Persistent disk that maintains its data between desktop recomposes. It stores user profiles among other data. There is a registry key at HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Search that allows you to specify the Search index directory, so we moved it to the persistent drive (Y: in our case). I used a Group Policy setting to run fix-search-index.bat at startup, which imports searchindex.reg. (See below for code).

This worked fine with Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2007, but now that we updated to Exchange 2010 SP3, it broke. I'm still researching why, but I wanted to post this information here in case it helps in your situation.

searchindex.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search]
    "DataDirectory"="y:\\SearchIndex\\Search\\Data\\"

fix-search-index.bat file:

@echo off
    regedit /s \\lwhcpa.com\NETLOGON\searchindex.reg
    exit

• Edited by Jerad Heffner Wednesday, July 10, 2013 6:05 PM clarification
    Wednesday, July 10, 2013 5:59 PM
  • Dear Jerad,we have your same Setup with Exchange 2010 sp3, Vmware View, and use Outlook 2010. We are not yet using persistend disk, but are considering it right now.

I am intested in knowing if you did find a fix for your issue, do you have any update on this?

much appreciated!

thanks

Wednesday, September 3, 2014 4:03 PM
  • I'm using VMWare View (VDI) floating desktops (non persistent disks) with Office 2010.  I'm also using Persona managment and Folder redirection for keeping data on one File Server and some users have PST's on a separate File Server.  Because of the floating nature we were losing the search index on each logoff.  I am trying to solve the issue - cause apparently my director logs on and near first thing starts searching his PST. 

On my templates:

To optimize Search-unchecked the box for "Drive Indexing" on my C: drive, applied to all subfolders and files, ignored all permission issues.  Removed all the indexed locations from control panel > Index Options.

To fix the issue with indexes rebuilding:

Moved the search Index location to each users folder (HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Search ; DataDirectory="%userprofile%\SearchIndex\Search\Data\") .  That way when users logon the search index gets put in thier profile.  When they logoff Persona will move it to the network.  When they logon to another VM Persona will copy down the index location.  I'm not preloading the Index data with Persona maybe I should.

This is a hit or miss solution for me... Started really testing it yesterday and found that sometimes it will pull over my complete search index, other times I have to completely rebuild. 

I'm looking for a 100% solution too.  My boss's, boss is the one complaining and I don't want to put in a solution that requires just less frequent index rebuilds.

• Edited by AlphaXD001 Thursday, September 18, 2014 12:27 PM fix terminology
    Thursday, September 18, 2014 12:14 PM
  • Hi Joe,

Really doing a good Job.

Getting Indexing Enabled on Network Location. I am also searching for this solution.

Please help us also after u finishes your testing.

Friday, October 24, 2014 3:16 PM
  • "C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe" C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL C:\Windows\System32\srchadmin.dll

In the advanced option you can set the location to a different path.

This is definitely the solution. I'm not sure why the thread even keeps going. If you have problems because it only accepts a local folder, then what I did was create a folder under the user's profile (c:\users\{username}\Index) and set that as the location. It will sync in the background. If the file size is too large, then simply map a network drive, or create an mklink as is described in multiple other replies. That's it. Simple solution, stop over-thinking it.
    • Proposed as answer by Joey Jackson Saturday, November 1, 2014 11:28 AM
    Saturday, November 1, 2014 11:28 AM
  • Hi Joey,

How to enable the above Advanced Option Function for the Users Profile. 

Please mention the Steps to do the same.

Thanks you in Appreciation 

Salim H

Saturday, November 1, 2014 6:51 PM
  • Hi Joey,

Unfortunately this does not work.  You cannot map the windows search index to a network drive. When you run Indexing Options and go into advanced options and 'Select New'... mapped drives will not be shown. 

MKLINK will not work\be shown either to a 'file\folder'.

If you try to change this via registry:

HLKM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Search\DataDirectory

and point the REG_SZ to a UNC path... the Windows Search service will not restart and pick up this new location:

"The Windows Search service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this xxx time(s)."

We have a Citrix XenDesktop 5.6 environment which ~3000 users on pooled VDI's.  No personal disk.

Each time a user logs off and on, the indexing service starts again.  This creates an additional read\write load on our SSD's which equates to extra disk latency.

It could be possible to do this using AppSense\Login Scripts (powershell\vb):

On log off of the VDI, stop the Windows Search service

Copy the contents of the users "%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Search\Data\" folder onto a network share.  (You must stop the service else the 'Windows.edb' file will be locked.)

On the master image disable the Window Search service.

On logon, copy the users "...Search\Data\" back into "%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Search\Data\"

Once the copy has completed start the 'Windows Search' service.

We cannot turn off the search service entirely as it is too imbedded with other functionality within Windows.

It does look as though indexing starts to take place place as soon as the machine powers on.  Again this means free machines are writing to disk unnecessarily (in my opinion).  Great for fixed\dedicated machines... an overhead for pooled vm's.  So having the windows search service disabled until logon should also prevent this.

Haven't had a chance to test this so not too sure how Windows will interpret this copy on\off.

Will update when I do :-)

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 3:56 PM
  • Hi all. I realize this thread is old. For various reasons we're going to use persistent disks. The U:\ drive will be added to linked clone desktops that are user assigned. 

By running that command up above I can choose the folder location, but the base image does not have a U:\ drive because this is added to the cloned desktops automatically. Thus i cannot choose that location and the text box is not manually editable. 

Anyone know how to set this location without using this tool? I read somewhere that editing this key used to work. Not sure with Windows 10. We're using VMware View Horizon 7.3.1. 

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search\DataDirectory (REG_SZ="U:\%username%\SearchIndex\Search\Data")

Thoughts?

Thursday, November 9, 2017 4:27 AM
  • We want to set Indexing (Outlook!) to a local Disk, as example: E:\.

In the registry, we already set  the key under "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search" the DataDirectory & DefaultDataDirectory to "E:Search\Data\".

After reboot, via Control Panel - Indexing the Path is correct on E:\.

But in Outlook - Options - Search - Indexing is the old path "%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Search\Data\".

Someone already experienced this issue?

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 7:09 AM