SCCM 2012 and WIN10 Anniversary update device management RRS feed

• Question

• I understand that MS official statement on the matter "Any new Windows 10 CB/CBB builds released in the future will not be supported With ConfigMgr 2012 and will require System Center Configuration Manager current branch for supported management."  but that doesnt mean they will not function still even if not officially supported.

Can someone please confirm if SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 CU4 will be able to manage WIN10 1607+ devices?  Need verification that software/hardware inventory, software distribution, software updates, and remote control is working.  Thanks!

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 6:28 PM

Answers

• I can tell you that everything you mentioned *works* from what I've tried, yes.

I'm definitely with Jason on this one though. Do you really want to have your environment in such an unsupported state? Even if it works, you may encounter problems which no one, not even Microsoft, can help you with or provide a solution for.

• Marked as answer by CM4COC Thursday, January 5, 2017 9:22 PM
    Wednesday, January 4, 2017 9:19 PM

All replies

• Technically, sure it may work. But that's certainly not guaranteed. They simply do not design test for the scenario which is what it means to be not supported. Do you really want to rely on something not designed to work?

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

• Proposed as answer by TorstenMMVP Thursday, January 5, 2017 7:29 AM
    Wednesday, January 4, 2017 9:06 PM
  • I can tell you that everything you mentioned *works* from what I've tried, yes.

I'm definitely with Jason on this one though. Do you really want to have your environment in such an unsupported state? Even if it works, you may encounter problems which no one, not even Microsoft, can help you with or provide a solution for.

• Marked as answer by CM4COC Thursday, January 5, 2017 9:22 PM
    Wednesday, January 4, 2017 9:19 PM
  • Thank You for the confirmation Emmanuel.  We are stuck at SCCM 2012 because our ticketing system ServiceNOW it ties into doesn't support SCCM CB as of yet.
    Thursday, January 5, 2017 9:22 PM
  • As a side semantic note (semantics are often very important), Microsoft has long since stopped calling it the Anniversary Update -- it's Win 10 1607.

As for the ServiceNOW connector, really? ConfigMgr CB has been out for well over a year now.

Thursday, January 5, 2017 9:26 PM
  • Yeah it's ridiculous.  Not even sure if they have plans to build a compatible plugin at this point either.
    Thursday, January 5, 2017 9:37 PM
  • I know this is more or less the same answer in reverse (kind of sort of), but there's no reason their connector shouldn't work with CB. The database schema is nearly identical and for what they data from is almost guaranteed to be the same. I don't know anything about the connector so can't say that I know for sure, but it'd be worth testing and/or asking ServiceNOW about.

Thursday, January 5, 2017 10:52 PM