none
Before the first replica was created, does DPM resume file transfer, or it starts all over in every consistency check? RRS feed

• Question

• My DPM is struggling in getting the first replicas done successfully, because my member servers are remote and connecting to DPM via VPN, due to unusable connection, the job failed from time to time for the reason of "agent is not responding".  Fortunately synchronization is scheduled to run three times a day, so I didn't have to manually initiate it after each failure. 

When I view the logs from Monitoring - Jobs, I see multiple records of failed job with different Data Transferred sizes. Some are as good as 3GB, some are as bad as 15MB,  I like to know if DPM preserves those files which were transferred, or does it start from scratch every time?  

It made me wonder because as described above, my first replica was not yet created, so there is no folder or file shown under the Recovery tab, that made me no way to find out how many files have been completely transferred and ready to be put together toward my replica, or is DPM downloading the same data over and over again after failed?

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 8:51 PM

All replies

• Hi,

DPM will not transfer the same file more than once, we perform block level CRC during CC and only files never tranfered before or changed file blocks of files that were already transfered will be brought over.  You may want to think about enabling on the wire compression and also bandwidth throttling to be 90% or less of bandwidth to help with the reliability of agent communications and get the data brought over more effeciently.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 11:19 PM