Move documents functionalitely requires contribute rights through the entire path? RRS feed

• Question

• This question is concerned with the popup window one gets, when some documents have been selected and the "Move" action has been chosen. You then get a window up displaying your possible selections of destination folder.

My problem is this: If i'm in a document library 2 levels down from the root site and I only have contribute rights to the library I'm standing in, and the one I want to move the document to (which is in a different path from the root site - so the parent site of the two sites containing the libraries are not the same), then I cannot select the library/location in the window.

If I tried the "send to location" functionality for a document, then I could paste the paths into the form at that would work fine, but my questions are these:

1. Is it really necessary for the user to have contribute rights (or something else?) both up the path to the first mutual supersite (opposite of subsite...) and then all the way down to the distination site, in order to be able to select the path in the window? (When I'm logged on as administrator I can select all locations in the window suggesting this might be the case)

2. If contribute rights are needed all along the path, is this not a case of a small gui bug in the window, since it would make more sense that all locations where the user has contribute rights would be displayed as possible selections?

EDIT: The window I'm referring to is the one you get, when you go into site actions and choose the bottom option ("administrate content and structure" or something like that - it's "Administrer indhold og struktur" in danish). In here you choose a document library, select some documents and so forth...

Thursday, March 24, 2011 8:32 AM

All replies

• Should I try to rephrase the question or is it clear what my question is?
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 4:57 PM
  • > Should I try to rephrase the question or is it clear what my question is?

A clever bump but nine hours is still far too short a time to assume that people are not replying to your post because they didn't understand it.

You should always wait for replies for circa three workdays before giving up and bumping (and providing more or differently phrased information)

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 5:34 PM