Word 2013 or 2016 'Save as Adobe PDF' File option causes crash - Disable ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We would like to disable Adobe's 'Save as Adobe PDF' on Word's 2013 or 2016 File menu. Unfortunately can't find a group policy setting to disable this option (it is possible to disable PDF or XPS Word options!).  The reason why is that on all our machines we experience Word (2013 and 2016) crashing whenever we use this particular option with any documents linked to a custom template.  Interestingly clicking the Acrobat tab 'Create PDF' option in Word we experience no problems!  In my mind Acrobat should not be taking precedence over Word's Save As PDF - but that's another story!

By the way we are currently using the registry key 'DisableMacro' which stops Word disabling our inhouse add-in following a crash.

Any insights would be most helpful.

Thanks

Friday, October 28, 2016 10:48 AM

Answers

• Hi Paul

Just to let you know, and others, Adobe have provided our company with a fix for the following known issue. This was of course aided by Microsoft.

*Word crashes on selection of 'Save As Adobe PDF' in a document based on a template (.dotm) containing a custom Quick Access toolbar with icons linked to macros.

The fix is in the form of an updated DLL file for both Adobe Acrobat XI and DC (standard and professional). 

Best regards

• Marked as answer by HuntsGreyhound Thursday, November 30, 2017 4:54 PM
    Thursday, September 7, 2017 6:45 PM
  • If you contact 'Adobe Support' directly and try quoting the following Adobe bug reference. This might be our company's unique reference number. Still Adobe should be able to confirm the bug exists now and provide you with the updated DLL file.

ADC-4197917 || 0188629544

• Marked as answer by HuntsGreyhound Thursday, December 7, 2017 3:36 PM
    Thursday, November 30, 2017 4:54 PM

All replies

• It's possible the template has acquired some of corruption, or that there's a fault in the Office installation itself.

Corrupt templates can often be 'repaired' by inserting a new, empty, paragraph at the very end, copying everything except that new paragraph to a new document (headers & footers may need to be copied separately, as will any code modules), closing the old template and saving the new document as a template over the old one.

You can repair a faulty Office installation via Start > Windows Control Panel > Programs > Programs & Features > Microsoft Office (version) > Change>Repair.

Other errors can be cause by third-party Addins, such as Digital Guardian Agent or a 'Send to Bluetooth' addin. Uninstalling or upgrading a faulty addin to the latest available version may that particular resolve the issue. To work out whether an addin is the cause, try running Word in safe mode. If saving as PDF works in safe mode, a faulty addin is the most likely issue.

See also: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Fixes-or-workarounds-for-recent-issues-in-Word-for-Windows-bf6bf17c-2807-4871-83ce-e337ae8f0b86

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Saturday, October 29, 2016 1:18 AM
  • The "Save As Adobe PDF" option on the file menu is inserted by the Adobe Acrobat Add-In. Disable the Add-In to remove it.

Note that the pdf files created using this are more complete than the files created using the "Save As" command on the File menu and picking pdf as the file type. They will include pdf bookmarks to headings.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Monday, October 31, 2016 2:01 PM
  • Thank you Paul for your thoughts.

The behaviour I describe happens on all our machines and with any template (with and without macros). I'm going to give you a little more detail about my testing and findings.

With our in house add-in enabled File | ‘Save As Adobe PDF’ crashes in the following instances:

1. In documents linked to custom templates

2. Saved document linked to custom template – If not saved Adobe will prompt to save the document and then continues ‘without’ crashing

Following Word crash Adobe prompts to disable ‘Adobe add-in and not in-house add-in. We have added the ‘Disablemacro’ registry fix to stop Word disabling our in-house add-in.

On the positive side using the same test documents (linked to a template) the Acrobat ribbon option ‘Create PDF’ does not cause Word to crash.

This poses me the following questions:

1. Why does Acrobat | ‘Create PDF’ work correctly and not File | ‘Save As Adobe PDF’?  My reason for posting the original question was about disabling the latter.  I don’t want to entirely remove the Acrobat Create PDF option which works.

2. Why when Adobe prompts to save the same test document and create the PDF it doesn’t crash.

I don’t know if you can help to answer my questions but if there are any insights into the differences between the options (which I believe do the same thing ) 'Create PDF' and 'Save As Adobe PDF' that would be most helpful.

Thanks in advance

Monday, October 31, 2016 4:24 PM
  • Thank you Charles for your thoughts.

Please see my reply to Paul above.

I would like to know more about why the Acrobat 'Create PDF' works correctly and 'Save as Adobe PDF' causes Word to crash. Both options do the same thing - is that right?  In an ideal world I'd let to get rid of 'Save as Adobe PDF' and keep 'Create PDF'!  Also why does MS give 'Save as Adobe PDF' precedence above our Word option File | Export | PDF or XPS.  Never had any problems with this option!

Thanks in advance

Monday, October 31, 2016 4:31 PM
  • It seems your Adobe PDF Add-in is faulty. Try re-installing it - and ensuring it's fully-updated. As for "why does MS give 'Save as Adobe PDF' precedence above our Word option", it doesn't. The Add-in's option displays the way it does because Adobe (not Microsoft) coded it that way.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Proposed as answer by Stefan BlomMVP Friday, November 4, 2016 10:20 AM
    Tuesday, November 1, 2016 12:02 AM
  • As Paul said, this is an issue with how Adobe has structured its Add-In. I agree that repairing the Adobe installation may give you good results with the Save As Adobe PDF. Otherwise, for most purposes the PDF option in the Save As dialog gives an acceptable pdf. You may want to simply disable the Adobe Add-In and use that.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

• Proposed as answer by Stefan BlomMVP Friday, November 4, 2016 10:20 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by HuntsGreyhound Monday, November 7, 2016 11:46 AM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2016 11:21 AM
  • Hi Stefan / Paul

I've repaired and updated Adobe but no luck.  We wish to retain the Acrobat add-in in Word but feel the Save As Adobe PDF is causing unnecessary issue.

Having been able to reproduce the issue in a new template I've found the crash only occurs when there is a custom built QAT (and macro). 

Thanks for your input and speedy responses.

Presently I'm in conversations with Adobe and will let you know how I get on.

Monday, November 7, 2016 11:50 AM
  • Hi Hants,

Any updates on your issue currently?

Personal suggestion, please upgrade your Office applications to the latest updates (November update) since there are some issue on VBA in the October Office updates.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/mt465751?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 11, 2016 9:36 AM
  • Hi Winnie

Just to let you know that this has been confirmed as a bug in MS Word. I'm conversing with Adobe who are liaising with MS. Hoping the bug will be fixed very soon!

Best

Monday, March 20, 2017 1:10 PM
  • Just to let you know that this has been confirmed as a bug in MS Word. I'm conversing with Adobe who are liaising with MS.

It's hardly surprising Adobe would 'confirm' this 'as a bug in MS Word'; you'd hardly expect them to admit it's a bug in their own product. Adobe has a long history of unwillingness to cooperate with MS - just look at the sorry record of Adobe trying to prevent MS adding PDF support to any of its products. I suspect the 'bug' fix will come from Adobe, not MS - which should tell you whose product has the bug...

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Monday, March 20, 2017 10:55 PM
  • Hi Paul

Just to let you know, and others, Adobe have provided our company with a fix for the following known issue. This was of course aided by Microsoft.

*Word crashes on selection of 'Save As Adobe PDF' in a document based on a template (.dotm) containing a custom Quick Access toolbar with icons linked to macros.

The fix is in the form of an updated DLL file for both Adobe Acrobat XI and DC (standard and professional). 

Best regards

• Marked as answer by HuntsGreyhound Thursday, November 30, 2017 4:54 PM
    Thursday, September 7, 2017 6:45 PM
  • We're having very similar issues.  Word Template with custom QAT and macros

Do you have any details on how to request these DLL files?  Do you have a reference ID or case number?

Thursday, November 30, 2017 4:30 PM
  • If you contact 'Adobe Support' directly and try quoting the following Adobe bug reference. This might be our company's unique reference number. Still Adobe should be able to confirm the bug exists now and provide you with the updated DLL file.

ADC-4197917 || 0188629544

• Marked as answer by HuntsGreyhound Thursday, December 7, 2017 3:36 PM
    Thursday, November 30, 2017 4:54 PM
  • I tried copying the entire text (sans final para) to a new document, saving as PDF each step of the way. It was success each step (text, ToC, etc.), until I copied the headers/footers (manually). Then it gave an error and would not create the PDF. This leads me to believe the problem (and there obviously is one because many people are experiencing it) is in the header/footer. 

I ended up saving the Word document as an earlier version and creating the PDF from that with absolutely no issues. The problem seems to be in version 2016 (because my previous 2010 worked perfectly) and it seems to be related to headers. 

Tuesday, January 2, 2018 8:22 PM
  • I tried copying the entire text (sans final para) to a new document, saving as PDF each step of the way. It was success each step (text, ToC, etc.), until I copied the headers/footers (manually). Then it gave an error and would not create the PDF. This leads me to believe the problem (and there obviously is one because many people are experiencing it) is in the header/footer. 

I ended up saving the Word document as an earlier version and creating the PDF from that with absolutely no issues. The problem seems to be in version 2016 (because my previous 2010 worked perfectly) and it seems to be related to headers. 

How are you creating the PDF? I have no problem converting to PDF using the Save As dialog box in Word 2016.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Tuesday, January 2, 2018 11:30 PM