Classic Menu, Quick Lauch and Unwanted library links and network links RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 7 missing all those things mentioned in title.
    Classic Menu, Quick Lauch .

Also no option to modify remove or add links in left side panel.  No need for Library link or Network link. Should have option to remove it and add other links such as my computer.

Please add these  features in final release. People love XP not vista. If windows 7 is more like XP. It will beat XP for sure.
    Saturday, August 8, 2009 8:15 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your feedback.

Please understand that these features are disabled by design in Windows 7. Windows 7 establishes a new different structure from Windows XP. It provides other ways to meet customers’ requirements. I can totally understand your feelings since you are not getting familiar with these new changes now. However, as a workaround, I would like to share the following information on how to customize Start Menu and restore Quick Launch.

Customize the Start menu

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Customize-the-Start-menu

How to get back Quick Launch in Windows 7

========================================

1.Right-click the taskbar, point to Toolbars, and then click New Toolbar.

2.In the New Toolbar dialog box, in the Folder text box, type the following text string, and then click OK.

%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

3.Right-click the taskbar and click to disable the Lock the Taskbar setting.

4.On the taskbar, right-click on divider. Make sure that the Show Text and Show Title settings are disabled, and that the view is set to Small Icons.

Use the dividers to rearrange the order of the toolbar items as desired. When you are finished, right-click the taskbar and click to re-enable the Lock the Taskbar setting.

References:

==========

Windows 7 Taskbar Enlightenment

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/discover/blog.aspx?p=b1542810-faed-4837-8e84-ea1f60c07113

Best Regards.

Dale Qiao

• Proposed as answer by JoelbX Monday, August 10, 2009 2:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Tuesday, August 11, 2009 1:25 AM
    Monday, August 10, 2009 2:18 AM

Also no option to modify remove or add links in left side panel.  No need for Library link or Network link. Should have option to remove it and add other links such as my computer.
    1.Classic 9x?ME look:
    The classic 9x/ME taskbar and Start menu look was removed from Windows 7, and your not the only one around these forums not happy about this change!

2.Quick Launch:
    Follow Dale Qiao's instruction for enabling the Quick Launch.

3."no option to modify remove or add links in left side panel.":
    I suppose you are talking about all the links to misc. places in Windows Explorer windows. To turn that off, select Organize, Layout, and then click Navigation pane.

Hello! Please reply back, promptly if possible with the results to solutions to your problem!

Curious about Win7 min. system requirements?
    Readme for older ATI graphics card and Windows 7 users
    - JoelbX
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Tuesday, August 11, 2009 1:26 AM
    Monday, August 10, 2009 2:25 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your feedback.

Please understand that these features are disabled by design in Windows 7. Windows 7 establishes a new different structure from Windows XP. It provides other ways to meet customers’ requirements. I can totally understand your feelings since you are not getting familiar with these new changes now. However, as a workaround, I would like to share the following information on how to customize Start Menu and restore Quick Launch.

Customize the Start menu

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Customize-the-Start-menu

How to get back Quick Launch in Windows 7

========================================

1.Right-click the taskbar, point to Toolbars, and then click New Toolbar.

2.In the New Toolbar dialog box, in the Folder text box, type the following text string, and then click OK.

%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

3.Right-click the taskbar and click to disable the Lock the Taskbar setting.

4.On the taskbar, right-click on divider. Make sure that the Show Text and Show Title settings are disabled, and that the view is set to Small Icons.

Use the dividers to rearrange the order of the toolbar items as desired. When you are finished, right-click the taskbar and click to re-enable the Lock the Taskbar setting.

References:

==========

Windows 7 Taskbar Enlightenment

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/discover/blog.aspx?p=b1542810-faed-4837-8e84-ea1f60c07113

Best Regards.

Dale Qiao

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Tuesday, August 11, 2009 1:25 AM
    Monday, August 10, 2009 2:18 AM

1.Classic 9x?ME look:
    The classic 9x/ME taskbar and Start menu look was removed from Windows 7, and your not the only one around these forums not happy about this change!

2.Quick Launch:
    Follow Dale Qiao's instruction for enabling the Quick Launch.

3."no option to modify remove or add links in left side panel.":
    I suppose you are talking about all the links to misc. places in Windows Explorer windows. To turn that off, select Organize, Layout, and then click Navigation pane.

Hello! Please reply back, promptly if possible with the results to solutions to your problem!

Curious about Win7 min. system requirements?
    Readme for older ATI graphics card and Windows 7 users
    - JoelbX
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Tuesday, August 11, 2009 1:26 AM
    Monday, August 10, 2009 2:25 AM

• Tuesday, August 11, 2009 5:48 AM
  • I am one of the complainers.  One of my coworkers said that the new look is more organized and takes up less space.  I think he's on drugs :o).  The new Quick Launch area takes up more space with 3 icons that all 20 of my quick launch icons took up.

The Microsoft engineers are starting to sound more like the MAC company.  You'll accept this weather you like it or not.

Thank you for the link but that article didn't help at all.  I'll make a program to run in the task bar that will simulate my beautiful Quick Launch bar that Microsoft stole from me :o).
    Helpful nice guy
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 3:24 AM
  • I started this thread. First I was complaining about windows 7 new options but now I started using and got so much comfortable. This new system taskbar, menu, and links in side pannel works for me perfectly now. I am so used it now using it  that i will never go back to xp.

Yes I was missing quick lauch pad but I googled it and got both running taskbar and quicklauch at same time. email me if anybody need quicklauch pad help.  It works for me windows 7 saved microsoft ____ big time.
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 4:29 AM
  • I started this thread. First I was complaining about windows 7 new options but now I started using and got so much comfortable. This new system taskbar, menu, and links in side pannel works for me perfectly now. I am so used it now using it  that i will never go back to xp.

Yes I was missing quick lauch pad but I googled it and got both running taskbar and quicklauch at same time. email me if anybody need quicklauch pad help.  It works for me windows 7 saved microsoft ____ big time.

In my opinion, it doesn't matter afterall whether the new menu style comfortable or not. People like to choose. And people like the FREEDOM to choose. Not the way someone told them what is the best (or more comfortable) for them.
    Yes, i dislike that new menu style too. And NO, i will NOT even give the new style a try.
    I will keep up my searches to get my sweet classic menu back. I don't really care who will finally give it to me - microsoft or any other "3d party developer" - as far as it works just like i used to.
    Friday, December 11, 2009 6:11 PM