Windows 8 will not boot - After install virtual box (virtualization) RRS feed

• Question

• I installed virtual box and now I am unable to start window 8.

I read online that there is a known issue with virtualization on windows 8. They suggested trying to toggle virtualization on/off in the bios which has not solved my problem. Does anyone know of anything else I can do to get my install back? I really do not want to have to re-install windows.  I have only had windows 8 installed for three weeks!

• Edited by Freddy_ROC Wednesday, December 5, 2012 4:02 AM Add to title
    Wednesday, December 5, 2012 3:57 AM

Answers

• In case anyone runs into this issue I found one way to resolve the issue.. Although, not one I really wanted.

In the end a complete system install was needed.

I tried:

1. Toggle virtualization on/off ( confirm bios up dated to latest version )

2. Toggled USB 3.0 support on/off ( read in another thread )

3. Boot from cd-repair

4. Boot from cd-refresh

None of the above worked. I could not find any way to remove the program that caused the issue and I needed my computer. I only had three weeks worth of info so it wasn't that bad. I still have my cd-s scattered around from my initial install. 

Lesson learned.

• Marked as answer by Freddy_ROC Wednesday, December 5, 2012 4:40 AM
    Wednesday, December 5, 2012 4:39 AM

All replies

• In case anyone runs into this issue I found one way to resolve the issue.. Although, not one I really wanted.

In the end a complete system install was needed.

I tried:

1. Toggle virtualization on/off ( confirm bios up dated to latest version )

2. Toggled USB 3.0 support on/off ( read in another thread )

3. Boot from cd-repair

4. Boot from cd-refresh

None of the above worked. I could not find any way to remove the program that caused the issue and I needed my computer. I only had three weeks worth of info so it wasn't that bad. I still have my cd-s scattered around from my initial install. 

Lesson learned.

• Marked as answer by Freddy_ROC Wednesday, December 5, 2012 4:40 AM
    Wednesday, December 5, 2012 4:39 AM
  • Hi,

I’m glad to hear your issue has been resolved. Hope your experience will help other community members facing similar problems.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 6, 2012 11:51 AM
  • I had the same issue with Windows 8 Pro.

Windows 8 would not boot past the windows loading screen, left it for two hours without luck.

I had my drives locked with bitlocker so I had to unlock the drives with the online key retrieval and then use the Windows 8 disc to do a automatic repair which fixed the issue.

I wondered if bitlocker was the cause of the issue so I decrypted my drives and installed virtualbox again, but encountered the same issue, again fixed by automatic repair.

Saturday, February 16, 2013 12:17 AM
  • I encountered the same issue with Windows 8 64-bit Enterprise (all windows updates applied as of March 06, 2013) and Virtualbox version 4.2.8-83876.

I was able to get my system back by doing a system restore (via Shift-F8 on system boot)

Disabling virtualization and USB 3.0 support in the bios did not work for me.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 10:42 PM
  • I have the same problem after installing and booting. Windows automatic repair fixes Windows, but removes the VirtualBox.

VirtualBox works for me but I may not boot my computer ....

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 12:42 PM
  • I too have experienced the same problem. But finally i tried to get rid of it and get my windows  8 back. All I did is 

1. I booted windows 8 into safe mode.

2. Opening the Device Manager, i disabled all Hyper-V related devices. (Just disable those devices having Hyper-V in their names)

3. Later I booted windows 8 in normal mode and then I successfully logged into my windows.

4. Later I uninstalled that virtual box and re-enabled all those disabled devices.

Now what should I do to have virtual box on my windows 8 machine? :(

• Proposed as answer by Henri Jones Monday, July 21, 2014 1:47 PM
    Wednesday, May 15, 2013 4:08 AM
  • Kalyan,

You saved me reinstalling windows!

I followed your suggestion of Hyper-V devices through safe mode. However, on rebooting, my computer still couldn't get into Normal Windows 8. So I let Windows 8 try an automatic repair one last time and this time it worked (this had always failed before I disabled Hyper-V devices).

Thank you for the suggestion!

Cheers, Joe

PS. I was running virtualbox 4.2.16

Thursday, September 12, 2013 1:56 AM
  • I am another one with the same experience.  Windows automatic repair usually fixes the problem. It was OK for a while with VirtualBox (4.2.12 or 4.2.14, I am not sure).  The problem started about two weeks ago when I upgraded VirtualBox to 4.2.18 and installed quite a few Windows updates. I went back to 4.2.16. but it still had the same problem.  I do not know what is the culprit.  According to the posts in this thread, this problem seems to have been with even earlier versions.   I will wait for the next version of VirtualBox, and give it a shot again. 

Hong

Sunday, September 29, 2013 2:43 PM
  • Hi,

Same problem for me too, after installing VistualBox 4.2.18, my sony vaio laptop won't reboot windows 8 !!

Domi.

Monday, September 30, 2013 12:41 PM
  • It works finally.

I do not know if Windows 8.1, VirtualBox 4.3, or both deserve the credit for the fix.  I have restarted machine 3 times without any problem after installing VirtualBox 4.3.

Hong

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 3:13 AM
  • I vote it was win 8.1 because I just installed viryualbix 4.3.2 on my windows 8 enterprise and now I can't boot. I can't even get into date mode to try kaylans idea and trying to press shift-f8 is impossible and regular f8 is only giving me restore option. Pissing me off. Posting this from my phone.

Mastro

Thursday, November 21, 2013 4:57 AM
  • I have encountered a similar problem today; after 4 hours of stress heres how it worked for me:

Burned a windows 8 ISO to a DVD, booted that DVD on the laptop, went to Repair, and than restored the system to a point before the installation of VirtualBox.

Monday, December 2, 2013 5:39 PM
  • Same here. Restore saved point resolved my problem.

I am sure it's all about Hyper-V running at the same time. I tried bcdedit to disable Hyper-V but it didn't help. I will just remove Hyper-V and install Virtual Box again.

• Proposed as answer by Henri Jones Monday, July 21, 2014 1:42 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Henri Jones Monday, July 21, 2014 1:42 PM
    Monday, March 31, 2014 8:18 AM
  • After 4h to try booting, only solution that was working for me.
    1. Boot on USB/DVD recovery
    2. Start recovery (It fails after ~ 30mn)
    3. Boot in safe mode without networking
    4. Disable Hyper-V in control panel
    5. Reboot

Very annoying because I need hyper-V for windows phone 8 development...

Apparently it's not possible to have hyper-V and Intel VTX enabled at the same time...
    Monday, July 21, 2014 1:42 PM
  • I tried upgrading from VirtualBox 4.3.12 to 4.3.20 and ended up with an unbootable machine (Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit). It would come up to the desktop but nothing would work - there were no icons on the desktop, the tray applications didn't seem to be loading, the transparent task bar was shown as a block of solid colour. Pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL brought up the menu where I could choose Task Manager, but the Task Manager itself would not show up, just a dialog warning me that a process was not responding and asking if I wanted to end the task (I forget the exact wording). Clicking "End task" that dialog removed the dialog only for it to appear again a minute later. It was not possible to do anything with the machine or to open the Task Manager.

I have updated through a number of versions of VirtualBox without issue. 4.3.20 seems to be a bad update. Unless some other recent update has changed something in Windows so that the VirtualBox update now conflicts.

I forced the system to turn off then used System Restore to reset it to an earlier time. System Restore told me it had failed with an error, but then when I rebooted the machine a dialog came up at the desktop saying that System Restore had succeeded. It works again now but I am stuck with the older version of VirtualBox.

• Edited by rac1234 Monday, December 8, 2014 3:21 PM
    Monday, December 8, 2014 3:18 PM