Can't switch users when using IE9 RRS feed

• Question

• I have been testing out IE 9 on our MOSS 2007 site and have been noticing one problem that came up.

If I am logged onto the site and I switch to my test accoutn it works fine.  If I try to switch back to my account the icon on the tab spins and the browser locks up.

I checked it with Fiddler and it looks like when I try to switch back it makes one get request for the Access Denied page and thats it.

Our enviroment is MOSS 2007 v12.0.0.6421 and we use kerberos authentication.

This does not occur in IE8, Firefox, or Chrome in our environment.

I googled this problem and couldn't find any mention of it.  Is this a known problem and can it be fixed in either Sharepoint or by changing some setting in IE?

give
    • Edited by GreenWaterBoy Tuesday, April 5, 2011 7:07 PM forgot to ask question
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, April 6, 2011 5:25 AM Bug? removed from Title. Speculation. Just give a normal problem description. Title changed to that
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 7:06 PM

Answers

• Tried it as both a trusted site and as local intranet and neither worked.

The server is IIS 7 BTW.

I checked fiddler again and it seems like the information being passed on the successful attempts and on the frozen browser attempts are the same, except for the logins of course.

The only difference is on the successful attempts the browser does a get to the accessdenied page, I then get prompted to login, then I get redirected back to the site I was on.

On the failed attempts, the browser does a get to the accessdenied page and then the status thing keeps spinning and the browsers locks.  Need to CTRL + ALT + DELETE the browser to close it.

I posted this under the IE forum to see if I can get an answer there.  Ill close this and update it once the issue is resolved.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ieitprocurrentver/thread/5bac0c51-239f-452f-a7b2-f5c81b83f6a6

• Marked as answer by GreenWaterBoy Wednesday, April 6, 2011 2:23 PM
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 2:23 PM

All replies

• Hi GreenWaterBoy,

According to your description, this problem only occurs in IE9, it works fine with IE8,Firefox and Chrome. So I don’t think this is a SharePoint related problem. I have also did some search on the Internet, but I found nothing useful information about this situation. I suggest you to post this question on IE Products Forums, so that you can get more profession help.

Thanks & Regards,

Peng Lei

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 8:41 AM
  • Hi,

Is site added in trusted sites ?, if not add and then try.

Also change the settings in Local Intranet zone for authentication option to prompt for user name and password and then try.

Warm Regards, Pratik Vyas | SharePoint Consultant | http://sharepointpratik.blogspot.com/
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 8:52 AM
  • > According to your description, this problem only occurs in IE9, it works fine with IE8,Firefox and Chrome. So I don’t think this is a SharePoint related problem.

While I understand the logic behind this statement, it does seem to be a problem with the combination of IE9 iand SharePoint and while the fix may well be something in IE9 it is still of interest to people in the SP forums that there are problems when using IE9 with SP.

It should also be noted that someone else has posted here a problem about another issue where IE9 is also not working correctly when used with SharePoint.

In my opinion investigating possible SP fixes here is useful and it is especially useful that - if there are many such threads here - Microsoft through them become aware of the problems and that a joint team of IE9 and SharePoint people then start to work on them.

My 5c.

(Another) Moderator

P.S. We've had problems before when new versions of IE didn't work correctly with certain versions of SharePoint, so this is by no means not the first time this kind of thing has happened. (Although in the case I remember best it was that a new version of IE didn't work well with a beta version of SharePoint [SP 2007 ...])

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, April 6, 2011 10:01 AM P.S. added
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 9:59 AM
  • Tried it as both a trusted site and as local intranet and neither worked.

The server is IIS 7 BTW.

I checked fiddler again and it seems like the information being passed on the successful attempts and on the frozen browser attempts are the same, except for the logins of course.

The only difference is on the successful attempts the browser does a get to the accessdenied page, I then get prompted to login, then I get redirected back to the site I was on.

On the failed attempts, the browser does a get to the accessdenied page and then the status thing keeps spinning and the browsers locks.  Need to CTRL + ALT + DELETE the browser to close it.

I posted this under the IE forum to see if I can get an answer there.  Ill close this and update it once the issue is resolved.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ieitprocurrentver/thread/5bac0c51-239f-452f-a7b2-f5c81b83f6a6

• Marked as answer by GreenWaterBoy Wednesday, April 6, 2011 2:23 PM
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 2:23 PM