Breaking Inheritance on a library destroys security on documents within that library RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a document library with permission set to inherit from site.

I have "break inheritance" on documents inside this library and set a custom permission on each, when i accessed the security of the library and also "break inheritance" on it, security on items was emptied!

Shouldn't the security on the documents stay the same even if the security on the library is changed because items have their own custom security with “break inheritance” set?

Thanks.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 6:08 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately, that is not the case.

Items in the library are not independent from the parent library.

For usability sake, SharePoint is not forcing you to undo customer permissions on potentially thousands of documents when you decide you want to re-inherit permissions.

For example, say you have a library and you set the library to break inherritance and have customer permissions.  You then also break inherritance for items within the library and over time thousands of documents are configured in such a way.  The idea appears to be that when you decide you want the library to inherit permissions from the parent site again, it would be much too cumbersome to have to reset inherritance on each and every document.  Because of this, when inherritance is re-established on the library level, it propagates the permissions down to all items.  I believe the developers probably just applied the same code principle going the other way.

I agree it would be better if permissions worked the way they do in Windows where you get given the choice to overwrite the permisisons on items in lower levels, rather than just blindly pushing it down.

Definately something to keep in mind when working with unique permission sets.

I trust that answers your question...

Thanks
    C

http://www.cjvandyk.com/blog
    • Marked as answer by SamerGhosn Wednesday, December 15, 2010 1:21 PM
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 4:04 PM
    Answerer