none
Windows Update breaks Sysprep.....?

Question

• I am installing Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64 on different models of laptops after being wiped clean.

If I install Windows 8.1 and run Sysprep / Generalize / Shutdown, it works fine.

However, I have tried running all Windows updates (220+ updates).  I then attempted to run Sysprep / Generalize / Shutdown.  After a while, it displays a message that 'A fatal error occurred while trying to Sysprep the machine'.

I have looked at numerous articles about the SkipRearm issues and unattend.xml file [ not using one ] with the register key value changes, etc.  None of the articles have fixed the issue.  Apparently, one of the recent Microsoft updates 'breaks' Sysprep.  However, I am pressed for time on these images and do not have time to do process of elimination to figure out which one it is.

Anybody else coming across this?

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 2:17 PM

Answers

• Hi JonW2016,

According to your description, Sysprep in Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 includes a provider to clean packages and generalize the resulting image. If packages are provisioned into the image and not removed for a particular user, Sysprep fails when cleaning out these packages.

Similarly, a failure may occur if an All-User package provisioned into the image is later updated by a user on the reference machine. We could check the setuperr.log file and CBS.log.

I have met some people Sysprep fails after you remove or update Windows Store apps that include built-in Windows images. Please refer to the link below to check.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2769827

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 15, 2016 1:09 AM

All replies

• Hi JonW2016,

According to your description, Sysprep in Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 includes a provider to clean packages and generalize the resulting image. If packages are provisioned into the image and not removed for a particular user, Sysprep fails when cleaning out these packages.

Similarly, a failure may occur if an All-User package provisioned into the image is later updated by a user on the reference machine. We could check the setuperr.log file and CBS.log.

I have met some people Sysprep fails after you remove or update Windows Store apps that include built-in Windows images. Please refer to the link below to check.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2769827

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 15, 2016 1:09 AM
  • Hi JonW2016,

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved? Because the case may be closed few days later.
    If you feel the suggestion could be helpful to you, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.
    If no, please feel free to post back and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.
    Best regards,
    Carl Fan

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 9:27 AM
  • I finally found the answer thanks to another forum. There is a package that breaks Sysprep. I found that if I run the command from an administrator level command window:

get-appxpackage -allusers | remove-appxpackage

Yes, it takes all the Microsoft packages off the system, but I don't use any of the Microsoft fluff anyway.

I am still testing this, but so far it appears to let Sysprep finish doing its job.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 1:55 PM