none
Possible via codeless? RRS feed

• Question

• Here is my goal:

1) Read UserA metaverse object to gather the attribute "ManagerEmployeeID".

2) Go to the MV object for the Manager (UserB), grab a stored attribute "SimpleDisplayName"

3) Write this data back into a new attribute within UserA, "ManagerEmployeeID.SimpleDisplayName"

Is this possible with codeless or do I need to work with a Rules Extension?

Thank you,

-Fred

Monday, December 16, 2013 4:03 PM

Answers

• Hello,

what about populating the manager reference attribute of users, then you should be able to build a workflow with function evaluator using //Target/Manager/EmployeeID + "." + //Target/Manager/SimpleDisplayName

You can trigger this workflow then on Manager changes of the user object (userA).

However in this case if the managers DisplayName changes, userA did not get updated.

Regards
    Peter

Peter Stapf - Doeres AG - My blog: JustIDM.wordpress.com

• Marked as answer by Fred Buecker Thursday, December 26, 2013 5:20 PM
    Tuesday, December 17, 2013 8:43 AM
  • Hello,

Here is a guide on how to implement Workflow/MPR for updating the department attribute.

You can adapt this to your needs i think, its not that difficult.

What you need is a action workflow using the function evaluator using my suggestion above.
    Then create for example a MPR which trigger on change of the manager attribute which calls this workflow.

Regards
    Peter

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 2:37 PM
  • Hi Fred,

MPR and workflow looks good.

you you should have a import flow in the FIM MA to sync this attribute to MV.

Then you it can be flow to other systems by SyncRules.

Regards
    Peter

Saturday, December 21, 2013 8:53 AM
  • Hello Fred,

create a set with all users that has the manager attribute currently set or use an existing one.

Activate the option "Apply on Policy update" on the workflow you have created above (temporarly).

Create an MPR that triggers on a transition-in to the set above using your workflow.

This will triger this workflow to be applied to all existing users of the set (retro-active).

Regards (and merry christmas of course)
    Peter

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 9:15 AM

All replies

• I don't see how you could do this declaratively.

Thinking a little differently on your challenge, I guess that if you have all the information above in the FIM Service, you could do this with a workflow inside the FIM Service and then just do direct flows in the Sync Engine.

Some of my standard workflows here (https://fimactivitylibrary.codeplex.com/) may be able to assist you with that approach.

If you dont have the FIM Service available, you should go to code.

Regards, Soren Granfeldt
    blog is at http://blog.goverco.com | facebook https://www.facebook.com/TheIdentityManagementExplorer | twitter at https://twitter.com/#!/MrGranfeldt

Monday, December 16, 2013 6:53 PM
  • Hello,

what about populating the manager reference attribute of users, then you should be able to build a workflow with function evaluator using //Target/Manager/EmployeeID + "." + //Target/Manager/SimpleDisplayName

You can trigger this workflow then on Manager changes of the user object (userA).

However in this case if the managers DisplayName changes, userA did not get updated.

Regards
    Peter

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 8:43 AM
  • Manager Reference is populated, I might be able to pull off this workflow.

Sorry for this being a bit elementary, I have inherited FIM and have been working on making it more effective for our Org. There is a bit of a learning curve ;-)

Can you point me in the direction of a reference guide for workflows via the portal?

Thanks again,

Fred

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 1:58 PM
  • Hello,

Here is a guide on how to implement Workflow/MPR for updating the department attribute.

You can adapt this to your needs i think, its not that difficult.

What you need is a action workflow using the function evaluator using my suggestion above.
    Then create for example a MPR which trigger on change of the manager attribute which calls this workflow.

Regards
    Peter

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 2:37 PM
  • Thank you, I am working through this today and will report back.

-Fred

Friday, December 20, 2013 4:16 PM
  • I have an MPR set up as follows:

Requestors - Administrators

Operation - Modify a single-valued attribute

Target Resource Before/After - All Users and Groups

Resource Attributes - Select Specific - Manager

Policy Workflow - my Action Workflow - "Update Manager_SimpleDisplayName"

Details of the WorkFlow "Update Manager_SimpleDisplayName"

Activity Display Name - Update Manager_SimpleDisplayName

Destination - [//Target/manager_SimpleDisplayName]

Value - Custom Expression - [//Target/Manager/SimpleDisplayName]

Seems like I have everything in place that I am looking for.

This will only run when the Manager is update though, correct? Would I need to set up a standard Sync Rule to write this new attribute value to users currently in the metaverse?

-Fred

Friday, December 20, 2013 10:20 PM
  • Hi Fred,

MPR and workflow looks good.

you you should have a import flow in the FIM MA to sync this attribute to MV.

Then you it can be flow to other systems by SyncRules.

Regards
    Peter

Saturday, December 21, 2013 8:53 AM
  • OK - looks good and it fires on a Manager update.

Last issue I have is how to populate this attribute in all of my current users.

With the MPR set to fire on manager update only, I am restricted to not getting data until a change happens. The only other option I am seeing is to set the MPR to all attributes, but I think that puts me in the same boat where a change is required for the workflow to kick and then it is tied to ALL changes and the workflow will be triggered potentially multiple times for each user, wasting resources.

Monday, December 23, 2013 7:49 PM
  • Hello Fred,

create a set with all users that has the manager attribute currently set or use an existing one.

Activate the option "Apply on Policy update" on the workflow you have created above (temporarly).

Create an MPR that triggers on a transition-in to the set above using your workflow.

This will triger this workflow to be applied to all existing users of the set (retro-active).

Regards (and merry christmas of course)
    Peter

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 9:15 AM
  • Outstanding! I set up a new workflow to be safe and populate both attributes along with the new MPR tied to a set that fits my needs.

I am seeing the data flowing properly on my Full Import/Full Sync and this looks like it will solve my outstanding issues.

Hope you had a great Holiday and have a great New Year!

Thank you!

-Fred

Thursday, December 26, 2013 5:23 PM
  • OK, so I need to re-visit this briefly. Seems the new attributes in the Metaverse are not getting updated when a user's manager changes.

Initial flow would read data from Manager A and populate my two new attributes ManagerSAM and ManagerDisplayName.

Now user has a new boss, ManagerB, but the two attributes ManagerSAM and ManagerDisplayName still show the data for ManagerA.I assume this is because my MPR is a SetTransition?

Is it as simple as making a new "Request" MPR that updates based "Relative to Resource"?

-Fred

Monday, June 2, 2014 5:50 PM