none
DPM 2012 on a non domain controller RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I recently installed DPM 2012 on a domain controller than discovered via further research that the DPM application can only backup the local server only. I was unable to push out the agents towards other domain controllers or to file servers. My next step is to rebuild DPM on a file server (non domain controller) and push out the agents to other domain controllers and file server. Will this new build allow me to backup both domain controllers/file servers and push out agents?

Can I avoid a rebuilt and somehow use the current installed version to push out clients and backup other servers?

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 9:36 AM

All replies

• Hi

Yes it will work from a machine that is not a domain controller. You will be able to push agents from a domain controller provided all the correct firewall ports etc. are open but i would recommend you install it on a different server.

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 9:48 AM
  • When I push out the agent from the current install of DPM on a domain controller to a file server. I received the following error:

Install protection agent on FS01.xxx.xxx failed:
    Error 303: The protection agent operation failed on FS01.xxx.xxx.
    Error details: The group name could not be found
    Recommended action: Review the error details, take the appropriate action, and then retry the agent operation.

Can you provide a light to resolve the issues, been googling all day without finding a solution. 

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 10:13 AM
  • Hi,

As noted, DPM cannot protect any other machines if you install DPM on a DC.  That option is for remote offices that only have a single server and it's a DC.   You will have to uninstall DPM on the DC and install DPM on a member server, then you can protect all the machines.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, November 13, 2014 3:56 AM