none
ADMT - Security translation - User profile when computer already in target domain

Question

• Hi everybody,

I have an issue that I can't figure out with ADMT.

Here is the situation, we have 2 different domains already used for different things :

- Source domain for users and groups.
    - Target domain for Gapps, computers, and some groups too (nest source\groups in target)
    - Windows 2008R2 servers and ADMTv3.2

The obvious goal is to get rid of this 50/50 situation and to merge everything in the target domain.

I've been experiencing with ADMT for now 2 days. Everything this is working well except one thing, and I couldn't find the answer during my research and tests.

Is it possible to translate a migrated user profile on a non-migrated PC ?

For example I have source\user1 migrated to target\user1 using target\PC1.

When I try to translate this profile, it doesn't seems to find the profile on the computer.

I don't know if I do something wrong or if it is something I didn't understand.

Thanks in advance for your answers
    Régis

• Edited by RégisL Friday, May 4, 2018 9:59 AM Added win server and ADMT version
    Friday, May 4, 2018 9:55 AM

Answers

• Hello William, 

Thanks for taking time to check.

After testing again, the answer is Yes. My issue came from elsewhere, in fact we have some DNS troubles and ADMT was trying to security translate another computer instead of the test one.

So, it is possible to translate security for a migrated user on a non-migrated computer.

I guess I should have taken more time before posting :).

Regards 

• Marked as answer by RégisL Wednesday, May 9, 2018 8:28 AM
    • Edited by RégisL Wednesday, May 9, 2018 8:29 AM
    Wednesday, May 9, 2018 8:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This is a quick note to let you know that I am currently performing research on this issue and will get back to you as soon as possible. I appreciate your patience.

If you have any updates during this process, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 7, 2018 6:32 AM
  • Hello William, 

Thanks for taking time to check.

After testing again, the answer is Yes. My issue came from elsewhere, in fact we have some DNS troubles and ADMT was trying to security translate another computer instead of the test one.

So, it is possible to translate security for a migrated user on a non-migrated computer.

I guess I should have taken more time before posting :).

Regards 

• Marked as answer by RégisL Wednesday, May 9, 2018 8:28 AM
    • Edited by RégisL Wednesday, May 9, 2018 8:29 AM
    Wednesday, May 9, 2018 8:28 AM