Changing to another WSUS server used for SCCM patch download RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I'm very new to WSUS and SCCM. 

Currently there is an old setup using SCCM to update internal system without internet connection. A WSUS with internet access is used to download the patches and then transfer into the SCCM. I need to setup another new WSUS server to takeover the current old WSUS. Is there issue which I need to look out for? Example, do I need to remove all the content inside Wsuscontent inside the SCCM, then copy all the new WSUS server Wsuscontent over? I do know we need to export and import the metadata.

Is the Windows version between the new and old WSUS server important? The new WSUS would be using a newer version. How about WSUS version and any patches needed.

Thanks!

• Edited by WhackyWakie Wednesday, July 8, 2020 10:56 PM add more questions
    Wednesday, July 8, 2020 10:25 PM

All replies

• Hi WhackyWakie,

Thanks for posting on this forum.

Example, do I need to remove all the content inside Wsuscontent inside the SCCM, then copy all the new WSUS server Wsuscontent over?
    Im my opinion, there is no need to do the above operation. Just create a new WSUS server and  force the SCCM point to this server. 

Please refer the following picture to confirm Windows server version and updates requirements when we try to creat a WSUS role:

If you have any feedback about this issue, please let me know.

Regards,
    Rita

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 9, 2020 3:39 AM
  • Thanks Rita,

apologize that I left out too much details.

the old SCCM 2012 have no connection to internet and no connection to the WSUS server. The WSUScontents folder and WSUSutil export .xml.gz are copied to a harddisk and then transfer to the SCCM 2012 server. Using robocopy to save time.

The WSUS is owned by another party, they will shutdown the WSUS server soon.

I'm need to setup another WSUS server, at the moment as I'm new to WSUS and SCCM, I wonder what is the safest way to do this.

Do I copy the content from the current SCCM server's WSUScontent folder and export the metadata, then transfer (using external harddisk, since they cannot be connected) into the new WSUS. Or get these contents should be from the current WSUS server?

Or, I just setup a new WSUS, download all required product/classifications, then replace the SCCM's WSUScontents folder and import the new metadata.

Warm Regards

Thursday, July 9, 2020 3:51 PM
  • Hi WhackyWakie, 

Thanks for your time.

Do I copy the content from the current SCCM server's WSUScontent folder and export the metadata, then transfer (using external harddisk, since they cannot be connected) into the new WSUS. Or get these contents should be from the current WSUS server?
    In my opinion, there is no need to do these operation above.

Or, I just setup a new WSUS, download all required product/classifications, then replace the SCCM's WSUScontents folder and import the new metadata.

Creat a new WSUS and export the required updates in a new WSUS Server and import these updates into SCCM Server. 

Regards,
    Rita

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 10, 2020 6:36 AM
  • Thanks Rita!

The first idea look safer to me, as the original contents in the SCCM is not replaced (remove and then copy a fresh copies from the new exporting WSUS). My concern was, there is some records in the SCCM's WSUS which "remember" the current Wsuscontent. Hence, when I replace all the contents it will cause issue to the SCCM.

Also, since only part of the WSUScontent will be changed, Robocopy will have less to copy (only for first time anyway).

At the moment, I believe WSUS contents and filenames are difference between servers, even if they download the same product and classifications.

If I understand correctly, every time we transfer update into the SCCM WSUS, do a metadata import, then do a Synchronize all at the SCCM, the system will refresh and the is no dependencies what was done before it.

As the current setup are Win2012r2 and Win2012. I will setup a new WSUS server with Windows 2012r2.

Warm Regards! 

Friday, July 10, 2020 12:13 PM
  • Hi WhackyWakie,

Thanks for your response.

In WSUS, we usually use wsusutil.exe export and import command to synchronize updates. Here is a link for your reference:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/configmgr/sum/get-started/synchronize-software-updates-disconnected

Step 1:verify that software updates synchronization has completed successfully on the export server
    Step 2:Export process for software updates
    Step 3:Import software updates metadata

Regards,
    Rita

Monday, July 13, 2020 9:56 AM
  • Hi WhackyWakie,

I am honored to assist you in solving the problem! 

If my answer is helpful to you, please consider marking the corresponding answer as ending the current thread. 

If you still have questions, please keep in touch.

Regards, 
    Rita

"WSUS" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "WSUS" forum's new home on Microsoft Q&A!
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Thursday, July 23, 2020 3:22 AM