Moving Files off of C: Drive RRS feed

• Question

• Basic setup: HP xw4600 Workstation, Intel Core Duo 3.3mHz Processor, Intel 38x/48x Chipset, RAM is around 18GB with Physical and ReadyBoost resources with. Windows 7 Pro x64. I have 4 HDD's with almost 1TB total that I can make a "JBOD" RAID0 array with but I am trying to avoid that for stability purposes and l/0 resources since they are not identical. I've read all about formatting drives either basic(Max 4 partitions) or dynamic(Unlimited) and was wondering about a file system on seperate hard drives/partitions, but would that increase or decrease performance?

Here is what I'm talking about. When you open C:\ There are around 12 or so separate files that install with Windows, with the C:\Windows file being the initial storage hog. I understand that Windows requires all folders and sub folders to remain together for proper operation of the system.

What I would like to accomplish is physically MOVING the main shell folders so that Windows can read/write to seperate partitions with the dynamic format on each of my drives. So there would be file/partitions for Downloads, Installs, Pics, Games, Videos, etc. I believe it would make an HDD act as an SDD as far as limiting defragmentation to each partition for faster reads. The partition sizes would of course be determined by my own personal use, which is mostly just customizing and optimizing. I'm open to any and all suggestions and would prefer an answer from experience and not just a link to a webpage please. I'm somewhat experienced and I'm not afraid to "screw up my system", I'm familiar with reinstalling Windows if something doesn't work right. Thank you!

• Edited by JohnnyT86 Sunday, February 12, 2017 8:42 AM Rewording
    Sunday, February 12, 2017 8:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I’m afraid we cannot do like that, Microsoft doesn’t have such tools, maybe some 3rd party tools can, but it beyond the scope of Microsoft's support.

Thank you for understanding.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 1:19 AM