none
Small Business Server 2008 R2 transition / migration to Server Standard 2008 R2

Question

• I'm looking for documentation and/or whitepapers on the transition/migration from SBS 2008 R2 to Server Standard 2008 R2.  I've been all over the Tech Net forums and other forums and see this question asked frequently but have yet to find any documentation.  

I'm setup as a Microsoft Partner and looked at the solutions pathway website which was great and showed me the upgrade path and discusses purchasing options but I was unable to find any documentation.

I've looked at the SBSmigration website that is refereed to by many people but I'm not interested in purchasing third party support I'm interested in documentation.

I did locate documentation on migrating server roles to Windows 2008 R2 http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd365353(WS.10).aspx I'm reading this now and it will be very helpful in the migration process but SBS is not mentioned in this document.  

To give you a brief background I've been a Microsoft Admin for roughly 10 years, Since NT 4.0.  I've preformed many Microsoft server upgrades and installations over this time.  I upgrade from SBS 2003 to Server 2003 and this upgrade had a clear upgrade path with documentation and tools.  I've done enough upgrades to know that each one has it's own caveats, pitfalls, order of operation, and tools.  

Any documentation on SBS dependencies, migration order, known bugs, tool sets, etc would be greatly appreciated. 

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 10:07 PM

Answers

• This is an action plan from Microsoft tech support.  I'm going to be testing this in my Lab over the next week or so.  I'll post any significant notes or corrections that I find.  

1.       Run ADprep on SBS 2008 with the Windows 2008 R2 disk.

·         Insert the media for Windows Server 2008 R2 into the Small Business Server 2008 server.

·         Browse to the following folder:

·         <DVD drive >:\Sources\Adprep> Adprep /forestprep

·         Press C, and then press ENTER. Wait for the process to complete.

·         <DVD drive >:\Sources\Adprep>Adprep /domainPrep 

·         when this step completes, you should receive a message: “Adprep successfully update the domain-wide Information”

2.       On SBS 2008 ensure that the schema version is updated to 47. Default schema version is 44

·         Goto HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NTDS\Parameters\Schema Version=47

3.       On the Server 2008 R2 assign the network card a Static IP on the same network as Small Business Server 2008.

4.       Set the SBS 2008 server as the primary DNS server and the hardware router as the default gateway.

5.       Set the Windows Server 2008 R2 computer to the correct time zone,

6.       Set the computer name and join it to the SBS 2008 domain as a member server.

7.       Join WS08R2 DC as a secondary domain controller in the SBS 2008 Domain.

·         Click Start and then click Server Manager.

·         In Roles Summary, click Add Roles.

·         If necessary, review the information on the Before You Begin page and then click Next.

·         On the Select Server Roles page, click the Active Directory Domain Services check box, and then click Next.

·         If necessary, review the information on the Active Directory Domain Services page and then click Next.

·         On the Confirm Installation Selections page, click Install.

·         On the Installation Results page, click Close this wizard and launch the Active Directory Domain Services Installation Wizard (dcpromo.exe).

·         On the Welcome to the Active Directory Domain Services Installation Wizard page, click Next.

·         On the Operating System Compatibility page, review the warning about the default security settings for Windows Server 2008 domain controllers and then click Next.

·         On the Choose a Deployment Configuration page, click Existing forest, click Add a domain controller to an existing domain, and then click Next.

·         On the Network Credentials page, type the name of any existing domain in the forest where you plan to install the additional domain controller. Under Specify the account credentials to use to perform the installation, click My current logged on credentials or click Alternate credentials, and then click Set. In the Windows Security dialog box, provide the user name and password for an account that can install the additional domain controller. To install an additional domain controller, you must be a member of the Enterprise Admins group or the Domain Admins group. When you are finished providing credentials, click Next.

·         On the Select a Domain page, select the domain of the new domain controller, and then click Next.

·         On the Select a Site page, select a site from the list or select the option to install the domain controller in the site that corresponds to its IP address, and then click Next.

·         On the Additional Domain Controller Options page, make sure the DNS and Global Catalog is checked, and then click Next:

·         DNS server: This option is selected by default so that your domain controller can function as a DNS server. If you do not want the domain controller to be a DNS server, clear this option.

·         Global Catalog: This option is selected by default. It adds the global catalog, read-only directory partitions to the domain controller, and it enables global catalog search functionality.

·         Read-only domain controller. This option is not selected by default. It makes the additional domain controller read only. (Do not select this option as we need Writeable Copy of Active Directory)

·         If you selected Use advanced mode installation on the Welcome page, the Source Domain Controller page appears. Click Let the wizard choose an appropriate domain controller or click Use this specific domain controller to specify a domain controller that you want to provide as a source for replication to create the new domain controller, and then click Next. If you do not choose to install from media, all data will be replicated from this source domain controller.

·         On the Location for Database, Log Files, and SYSVOL page, type or browse to the volume and folder locations for the database file, the directory service log files, and the system volume (SYSVOL) files, and then click Next.

·         On the Directory Services Restore Mode Administrator Password page, type and confirm the restore mode password, and then click Next. This password must be used to start AD DS in Directory Service Restore Mode for tasks that must be performed offline.

·         On the Summary page, review your selections. Click Back to change any selections, if necessary.

·         To save the settings that you have selected to an answer file that you can use to automate subsequent AD DS operations, click Export settings. Type the name for your answer file, and then click Save.

·         When you are sure that your selections are accurate, click Next to install AD DS.

·         On the Completing the Active Directory Domain Services Installation Wizard page, click Finish.

·         You can either select the Reboot on completion check box to have the server restart automatically or you can restart the server to complete the AD DS installation when you are prompted to do so.

8.       Install Exchange 2007 or Exchange 2010 on same server or different server and  move the mailboxes.

9.       Move the Public folders: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb331970.aspx

10.   Migrate any data they wish to keep to the new server.

11.   If folder redirection/roaming profiles are configured move that data over to the new server by updating the user account/group policy settings.

12.   Move FSMO roles and GC to WS08R2: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;255504

13.   Might want to wait a few days to make sure everything remains operational ( you have 21 days from this point)

14.   Uninstall Exchange 2007 from SBS 2008

15.   DCPromo down SBS 2008

16.   Remove SBS 2008 from the network.

• Marked as answer by Ben Rainville Tuesday, November 16, 2010 6:28 PM
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 6:28 PM

All replies

• SBSMigration is all about documentation, and what you want to do. You don't
    have to use the support.

How could you not be interested? ;-).

-----------------------------------------------
    Les Connor [SBS MVP]

"Ben Rainville" wrote in message
    news:2302c957-7db5-4c7c-8d40-81895bf9fc3a@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    > I'm looking for documentation and/or whitepapers on the
    > transition/migration from SBS 2008 R2 to Server Standard 2008 R2.  I've
    > been all over the Tech Net forums and other forums and see this question
    > asked frequently but have yet to find any documentation.
    >
    >
    > I'm setup as a Microsoft Partner and looked at the solutions pathway
    > website which was great and showed me the upgrade path and discusses
    > purchasing options but I was unable to find any documentation.
    >
    >
    > I've looked at the SBSmigration website that is refereed to by many people
    > but I'm not interested in purchasing third party support I'm interested in
    > documentation.
    >
    >
    > I did locate documentation on migrating server roles to Windows 2008 R2
    > reading this now and it will be very helpful in the migration process but
    > SBS is not mentioned in this document.
    >
    >
    > To give you a brief background I've been a Microsoft Admin for roughly 10
    > years, Since NT 4.0.  I've preformed many Microsoft server upgrades and
    > installations over this time.  I upgrade from SBS 2003 to Server 2003 and
    > this upgrade had a clear upgrade path with documentation and tools.  I've
    > done enough upgrades to know that each one has it's own caveats, pitfalls,
    > order of operation, and tools.
    >
    >
    > Any documentation on SBS dependencies, migration order, known bugs, tool
    > sets, etc would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    >

MVP - SBS
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 10:51 PM
  • I'll pay for a call to Microsoft before I pay a third party vendor.  My issue right now is that I like to read the documentation before I call so at least I've done my research and homework.  Plus I always open a ticket with Microsoft before doing any kind of upgrade on a production system.  We are talking about a Microsoft upgrade.  3 times out of 5 you'll need to open a ticket with them anyway so I pay for two things.  The comfort of avoiding as many issues as I can and the convenience of having a ticket open for when something dose go wrong.  

I would understand paying a third party for non supported configurations but this is a standard upgrade and should be documented by Microsoft.  If it's not then it's a failure by Microsoft to properly support there product.  

Thursday, November 11, 2010 3:02 PM
  • I think you'll find that SBS 2008 (there is no R2) "upgrade" to Windows Server 2008 R2 "standard" is not a supported path. They are two seperate products.

SBS 2008 is built upon Server 2008 Standard but doesn't stop there.

You're describing a migration from SBS to WS 2008 R2, not an upgrade.

/kj
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 8:46 PM
  • As pointed out by the other MVP's, there is no "transistion pack" for SBS 2008.  Doubt we'll ever see a transition pack again.
    And you can't do an inplace upgrade.

So you migrate on new hardware.

Add the new server as a DC, DNS, GC, etc

You havent' mentioned what you're doing with Exchange, but assuming it's 2010

--
    Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP] (since 1997)
    Co-Contributor, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed
    http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleashed/dp/0672329573/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217269967&sr=8-1
    Owner, CPU Services, Belleville, IL
    A Microsoft Registered Partner
    ------------------------------------
    MVPs do not work for Microsoft
    Please do not submit questions directly to me.

I think you'll find that SBS 2008 (there is no R2) "upgrade" to Windows Server 2008 R2 "standard" is not a supported path. They are two seperate products.

SBS 2008 is built upon Server 2008 Standard but doesn't stop there.

You're describing a migration from SBS to WS 2008 R2, not an upgrade.

/kj
    Please remember to click �??Mark as Answer�?� on the post that helps you, and to click �??Unmark as Answer�?� if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Cris Hanna, Microsoft SBS MVP, Owner-CPU Services, Belleville, IL
    Friday, November 12, 2010 7:23 PM
  • This is an action plan from Microsoft tech support.  I'm going to be testing this in my Lab over the next week or so.  I'll post any significant notes or corrections that I find.  

1.       Run ADprep on SBS 2008 with the Windows 2008 R2 disk.

·         Insert the media for Windows Server 2008 R2 into the Small Business Server 2008 server.

·         Browse to the following folder:

·         <DVD drive >:\Sources\Adprep> Adprep /forestprep

·         Press C, and then press ENTER. Wait for the process to complete.

·         <DVD drive >:\Sources\Adprep>Adprep /domainPrep 

·         when this step completes, you should receive a message: “Adprep successfully update the domain-wide Information”

2.       On SBS 2008 ensure that the schema version is updated to 47. Default schema version is 44

·         Goto HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NTDS\Parameters\Schema Version=47

3.       On the Server 2008 R2 assign the network card a Static IP on the same network as Small Business Server 2008.

4.       Set the SBS 2008 server as the primary DNS server and the hardware router as the default gateway.

5.       Set the Windows Server 2008 R2 computer to the correct time zone,

6.       Set the computer name and join it to the SBS 2008 domain as a member server.

7.       Join WS08R2 DC as a secondary domain controller in the SBS 2008 Domain.

·         Click Start and then click Server Manager.

·         In Roles Summary, click Add Roles.

·         If necessary, review the information on the Before You Begin page and then click Next.

·         On the Select Server Roles page, click the Active Directory Domain Services check box, and then click Next.

·         If necessary, review the information on the Active Directory Domain Services page and then click Next.

·         On the Confirm Installation Selections page, click Install.

·         On the Installation Results page, click Close this wizard and launch the Active Directory Domain Services Installation Wizard (dcpromo.exe).

·         On the Welcome to the Active Directory Domain Services Installation Wizard page, click Next.

·         On the Operating System Compatibility page, review the warning about the default security settings for Windows Server 2008 domain controllers and then click Next.

·         On the Choose a Deployment Configuration page, click Existing forest, click Add a domain controller to an existing domain, and then click Next.

·         On the Network Credentials page, type the name of any existing domain in the forest where you plan to install the additional domain controller. Under Specify the account credentials to use to perform the installation, click My current logged on credentials or click Alternate credentials, and then click Set. In the Windows Security dialog box, provide the user name and password for an account that can install the additional domain controller. To install an additional domain controller, you must be a member of the Enterprise Admins group or the Domain Admins group. When you are finished providing credentials, click Next.

·         On the Select a Domain page, select the domain of the new domain controller, and then click Next.

·         On the Select a Site page, select a site from the list or select the option to install the domain controller in the site that corresponds to its IP address, and then click Next.

·         On the Additional Domain Controller Options page, make sure the DNS and Global Catalog is checked, and then click Next:

·         DNS server: This option is selected by default so that your domain controller can function as a DNS server. If you do not want the domain controller to be a DNS server, clear this option.

·         Global Catalog: This option is selected by default. It adds the global catalog, read-only directory partitions to the domain controller, and it enables global catalog search functionality.

·         Read-only domain controller. This option is not selected by default. It makes the additional domain controller read only. (Do not select this option as we need Writeable Copy of Active Directory)

·         If you selected Use advanced mode installation on the Welcome page, the Source Domain Controller page appears. Click Let the wizard choose an appropriate domain controller or click Use this specific domain controller to specify a domain controller that you want to provide as a source for replication to create the new domain controller, and then click Next. If you do not choose to install from media, all data will be replicated from this source domain controller.

·         On the Location for Database, Log Files, and SYSVOL page, type or browse to the volume and folder locations for the database file, the directory service log files, and the system volume (SYSVOL) files, and then click Next.

·         On the Directory Services Restore Mode Administrator Password page, type and confirm the restore mode password, and then click Next. This password must be used to start AD DS in Directory Service Restore Mode for tasks that must be performed offline.

·         On the Summary page, review your selections. Click Back to change any selections, if necessary.

·         To save the settings that you have selected to an answer file that you can use to automate subsequent AD DS operations, click Export settings. Type the name for your answer file, and then click Save.

·         When you are sure that your selections are accurate, click Next to install AD DS.

·         On the Completing the Active Directory Domain Services Installation Wizard page, click Finish.

·         You can either select the Reboot on completion check box to have the server restart automatically or you can restart the server to complete the AD DS installation when you are prompted to do so.

8.       Install Exchange 2007 or Exchange 2010 on same server or different server and  move the mailboxes.

9.       Move the Public folders: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb331970.aspx

10.   Migrate any data they wish to keep to the new server.

11.   If folder redirection/roaming profiles are configured move that data over to the new server by updating the user account/group policy settings.

12.   Move FSMO roles and GC to WS08R2: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;255504

13.   Might want to wait a few days to make sure everything remains operational ( you have 21 days from this point)

14.   Uninstall Exchange 2007 from SBS 2008

15.   DCPromo down SBS 2008

16.   Remove SBS 2008 from the network.

• Marked as answer by Ben Rainville Tuesday, November 16, 2010 6:28 PM
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 6:28 PM
  • 12. Needn't 'move' the GC to the 08R2 server as it already is one.

14,15,16 will be interesting to see how cleanly they complete. Please post back when you've tried this in the lab.

Probably have a few other things to fixup as well, DHCP, DNS, MX records... etc

17 - Purchase your Windows 2008 R2 CALs and Exchange CALs.    :)

/kj
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 8:01 PM
  • Did you have to do anything else?

I am planning on doing this same thing and need some help as well.  This was a great starting point by the way.

Thank you so much!

Monday, December 13, 2010 10:35 PM
  • I am going to have to do this soon. I am probably going to test it on a lab environment as well. I was planning these steps in my head for few months now, only this is way better. Too bad that if anyone has actually followed this guide isn't coming back, especially if migration went smooth.
    Monday, March 07, 2011 8:30 PM
  • Really appreciate the step by step guide here. My SBS 2008 box is also running the AD Certificate Services Role. I've already backed it up. How can I decommision the SBS 2008 box and keep my certificate services configuration?

Thanks,

Don

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 7:17 PM
  • I am going to do a migration from SBS 2008 std to Windows 2008 R2 std soon. Just wondering how is your lab outcomes? Is there anyone with a real production environment that works well?
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 3:05 PM
  • Hi guys. I have a test lab (VMware) going and have got to the point of needing to demote my sbs 2008 standard  box using dcpromo. According to MS you cant dc promo an sbs 2008 standard box http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee943115%28WS.10%29.aspx. I have tried demoting it but it wont let me hence my post. Has anyone else managed to successfully remove SBS from your domain or do i shut the box down and clean up AD manually.

Thank you.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 3:16 PM
  • Demoting the SBS Server is the very last thing to do once all data, AD Information, etc has been moved to the new server.

Then once the FSMO roles are transferred, you should be able to DC PROMO on the SBS box and out she goes.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 3:22 PM
  • Hi Cris,

Thank you for your reply. I have done all the migration of my AD including the FSMO roles, etc. But still it wont give me the green light.

Cheers,

Sacha

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 3:50 PM
  • You're welcome to post any error messages you're seeing.

You have removed Exchange from the SBS Server, correct?

Obviously running DCPROMO is the ideal way to do this, but you could simply remove the SBS server and manually clean up ADUC and DNS

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 4:15 PM
  • Hi Cris,

Sorry i have not posted back. Thanks for your offer of assistance. Basically i started my whole test migration from scratch. What messed up the first migration was the fact that when i used the VMware convertor on my production SBS box to make a copy it created a ghost NIC which totally stuffed up the bindings in AD. I tried the MS and VMware support articles to remove it but no joy. So a colleague of mine suggested i use the Fix my network settings in SBS. Which to my joy did the trick. I was able to do a very successful migration from SBS 2008 to full native AD on server 2008 R2 with Exchange 2010.

Thank you,

Sacha

Thursday, December 08, 2011 8:45 AM
  • Hi TheBinary,

With the migration to server 2008 r2 from sbs 2008 being successful i have a couple questions,

Was this done on the same domain? And did this migration have any effect on the user profiles 

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 6:15 PM
  • Hey guys,

I am in the process of doing an SBS08 transition to Enterprise as well and have a question. Do I need to install Exchange 2007 SP2 for the transition to Exchagne 2010??

The reason I ask is because I see MANY horror stories of the installation of this SP onto SBS and I cannot afford to mess up this enviornment. It is critical to keep downtime to a minimum and I REALLY REALLY REALLY do not want to install this SP.

Can you please confirm with experience if I can do the migration without the Exchange 2007 SP2? If so, can I have some guidance on how it is to be done?

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 3:21 PM
  • A bit behind in your patching, eh?

You should download and install Exchange 2007 SP 3 and completely bypass SP2.   Remember to "Run as Administrator" when running this.

And there are several update rollups that have been released since SP3.   Get update rollup 6 and apply that after SP3 AND after a reboot for the Service Pack.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 3:34 PM
  • Do I have to install Exchange SP2 or SP3 for the migration to a Enterprise domain with Exchange 2010??

As I stated in my post.. I see alot of horror stories with the SP installs on SBS08. I really would prefer not to install any of those SP's if I can avoid it.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 3:46 PM
  • There are no horror stories around SP3...and as I said, if you download SP3 and then choose run as administrator by right clicking it should be fine

You may be migrating to the non-sbs versions but I'd suggest that the prereqs are the same

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg615494.aspx

"You must install the latest service packs on the Source Server prior to migration. If service packs are missing, the Migration Preparation Tool will report the problem and ask you to install the necessary updates before proceeding. " 

"Microsoft® Exchange Server 2007 Service Pack 3 is a prerequisite for the migration installation. To download the software, see How to install Exchange Server 2007 SP3 on a computer that is running Windows SBS 2008. "

Granted you're not doing using the migration wizards, but why take the chance.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 5:28 PM
  • Hi

Sysvol and Netlogon is not Appearing on new 2008 R2 DC

DC promo can’t continue until folders are present on all DC

Any ideas

consultant

Monday, October 15, 2012 8:40 PM