none
Can I connect my domain account to Microsoft account (not vice versa) RRS feed

• Question

• Once you join domain, and log in with your domain account, there is an option to connect your Microsoft account to that domain account.

Now most desktop apps, including Visual Studio, do not synchronize their settings via Microsoft account. Before I joined domain I had configured all my desktop apps in my Microsoft account, which I created during Windows setup.

Problem is, since domain account is a new account on my computer, it does not have configuration for my programs. When I connect Microsoft account to it, desktop apps configuration is not synchronized. So I'd like to either convert my Microsoft account profile into domain account profile, or instead of connecting Microsoft account to my domain account, connect my domain account to the existing Microsoft account on my computer. Is that possible?

Alternate problem description in form of steps:

1. Create/use existing Microsoft account (say AAA) during Windows Setup before joining domain
    2. Install several desktop applications
    3. Configure them
    4. Join domain

Expected:

After joining domain, and logging in with Microsoft account AAA (not domain account BBB) there should be an option to connect domain account BBB. That would allow to preserve all desktop apps and their configuration, and give access to domain services.

Actual:

If one is logged in as AAA, there's no option to connect BBB to AAA. You have to be logged in as BBB in order to connect AAA to BBB, but that means, that all desktop apps, which were configured in AAA, while computer was part of home workgroup now have to be reconfigured.

• Edited by lostmsu Friday, March 7, 2014 6:33 AM
    Friday, March 7, 2014 6:33 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Please know that OneDrive doesn’t sync setting for Desktop app, but your Start screen layout, chosen colors, themes, language preferences, browser history and favorites, and Windows Store app settings are synced between PCs via OneDrive.

The desktop app configuration is saved under Appdata of user profile or ProgramData, I am not sure whether these settings data can be redirected to roaming profile, but I know some of the settings can be export to backup, after reinstalling the app, we can import the backup one.

Thanks for your understanding.

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 10, 2014 9:20 AM
    Owner