none
WindowsImageBackup folder - what on earth? RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, here's the scenario.  Amongst other things, I have two Server 2008 R2 virtual machines hosted on a Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V host machine.  These VMs are backed up by DPM via the host's Hyper-V, i.e. the VHD files themselves are backed up.

This is working fine but I've just noticed that both servers back a WindowsImageBackup folder in the root of a (seemingly random) drive, which appears to contain this full backup.  I have a few questions about this:

Q1. Is this indeed what it appears to be - i.e. the full VHD backup as a result of the DPM protection?

Q2. Why is is being stored on the client VM?  I was fully expecting the data to be created directly in the DPM storage pool.  Can I stop this data from being created on the client?

Q3. What determines which drive is used?  On one of the VMs, it's chosen the system drive, which is thus storing the backup inside the virtual machine's VHD file itself, effectively doubling the size of it and eating into the host's storage.  On the other VM, (an Exchange 2010 box), it's chosen the same drive as the mailbox database, which happens to be an iSCSI SAN volume, so it's using up the space I've allocated to the iSCSI LUN for the mailbox store and hammering the iSCSI network as it performs the backup.

Q4. The time stamps don't seem to match.  These complete VHD backups are scheduled to be performed at 12.00pm on Sundays, yet the VHD files contained within these folders are all stamped today (16/06/2010) at around 01:54 this morning.

If anyone can help with these questions I'd be very grateful as I'm rather alarmed at the discovery of these large blocks of data on these two machines.

Thanks,

Toby.

Toby
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 8:49 AM

Answers

• Details of the system state backup and how to change the location

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb809015.aspx

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 12:48 PM

All replies

• Ah, I've found it - my mistake.

I'd had a separate protection group for System State protection on these two servers and this is what it was.  This does pose the two questions of how it decides where to put this folder on the client and why such backups are so damned big!

Toby
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 9:03 AM
  • Details of the system state backup and how to change the location

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb809015.aspx

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 12:48 PM