none
Disaster Recovery of Hyper-V backups RRS feed

• Question

• Assuming everything burns down and we're left with a DPM Tape containing:

- Recovery data for DC (BMR)
     - DPMDB
     - 25 "Hyper-V" backups

How can I restore my 25 Hyper-V backups directly to another Hyper-V server?

As best I can tell, you can only flat-file copy data from the DPM Tape.

1. Created fake domain...

2. Installed DPM

3. Copied DC BMR off tape

4. Restored production domain using DC BMR

5. Flattened and reinstalled DPM to new domain with same name

6. Restored DPMDB

Now DPM appears semi-functional:

- I can still restore to a network share directly from tape ("Copy")

- When I use the "Recovery" tab, tree-view items "disappear" as I navigate to the lowest node.

Are traditional file restores the only possibility in this scenario? If so, I'm still in trouble because Hyper-V will not import flat-file virtual machines...the disks can be re-attached to new machines, but network settings and saved state (.bin, .vsv) are lost.

Thanks --

• Edited by --Mike Thursday, December 29, 2011 9:53 PM Misspelled title of post
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 9:50 PM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

If the tapes in question needs to be imported/recataloged then the only option is to copy its data to a network location during restore....

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 10:14 PM
  • Is there a way to rebuild the replica from tape? Would this bring the "Recovery" tab functionality back?

Example:

1. Allocate space on new DPM server for replica.

2. Use dpmsync -reallocatereplica

3. Somehow dump the replica from tape using -RestoreToReplica (RecoverToReplicaFromTape?)

The documentation (here) briefly mentions it, but details are lacking. 

Friday, December 30, 2011 1:44 AM
  • Hi Mike,

The Replica and Recovery Point volumes goes hand in hand.

The Recovery Point volume contains Snapshots taken from changed blocks of the replica since the last snapshot. So the Snapshot contains data blocks of the replica volume.

If the replica is lost then then those snapshots mapping are completely broken/orphan at this point. Even if you restore the replica content from tape  to a new replica volume (which is what dpmsync -reallocatereplica does if the replica got lost) this won't create the block mapping between the new replica volume and the old recovery point volume.

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Friday, December 30, 2011 1:52 AM
  • Thanks Wilson.

Sounds like this scenario isn't supported.

=======================================

Scenario: Disaster Recovery using a DPM Tape containing DC BMR, DPMDB, and 25 Hyper-V machines.

Problem: DPM only restores Hyper-V machines in flat-file format.

- Microsoft Hyper-V Server has no import mechanism.

- DPM cannot directly restore Hyper-V machines from tape to server

=======================================

I couldn't find any tool or method to import Hyper-V machines (maintaining snapshots, memory state, virtual device state, etc...)...unless anyone else has a method for this?

Thanks --

Friday, December 30, 2011 3:41 AM
  • WOW...!!! If this is true it sounds like SCDPM is not an enterprise ready product.  How can I sale to management that DPM should be the go to backup solution for Windows if it can't be reasonably used in a DR scenario?  Sounds like a good reason to avoid this product at least until it is able to restore the products in its own software family effectively.

• Edited by ldeakm Friday, December 30, 2011 6:08 AM
    Friday, December 30, 2011 6:08 AM
  • I have just read this thread and would have expected further clarification on the ability of DPM to recover VMs, from the starting point of having just a tape backup of the relevent VMs.

This DR scenario must be considered and accounted for in the DR plan. An example of where this may arise; a worm has wiped all the production servers including the DPM server (and any secondary DPM server).

1.   When recovering the VM to a network folder from an imported re-catalogued tape, what files are recovered?

I assume and hope that it will consist of all at least all of the .VHD files and the .XML file for each VM?

I expect that it would also include what I understand are the memory state files .BIN and .VSV (as they should have been backed up with the VM if done as a Child Partition backup)? I am actually not as bothered about these, but the .VHDs and .XML are obviously critical.

2.   Once the .VHD and .XML files are successfully recovered into a folder on a server with the Hyper-V role installed, is it then possible to re-create the VM with identical hardware and network settings (using these two files alone) and bring it back online?

This would meet our recovery goals for this DR scenario. 

If it is not, then I would have to assume that the last poster is correct in his assessment of DPM's suitability as a DR solution in the Enterprise.

Thanks,

Bruce.

• Edited by Redbruce Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:59 AM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:36 AM
  • DPM should let you recover the VHD from tape. In step 5 of the restore process did you use the following method to restore DPM? http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc161519.aspx, specifically the system state and databases? If DPM does not come back in as the same ID (same name is not enough, system state is what is needed) it will be treated as a different server and only allow you to copy from tape rather than restore.

Have you looked at this Hyper-V recovery tool http://hyperr.codeplex.com/

This post also talks about recovering Hyper-V http://eniackb.blogspot.com.au/2009/05/how-to-recover-hyper-v-virtual-machine.html configurations

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 11:52 PM
  • Microsoft offers great instructions for recovering DPM replicas here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/system-center/data-protection-manager-2007/bb795741(v=technet.10)?redirectedfrom=MSDN When you plan a recovery strategy for a virtualized server environment, there are a lot of factors you should think about. I recommend using NAKIVO Backup & Replication, which has a very intuitive interface and can help you to recover full VMs from backups: https://www.nakivo.com/hyper-v-backup/

Sunday, August 30, 2020 2:50 PM