none
SharePoint Designer Workflows in Project Online RRS feed

• Question

• I have encountered a problem with the workflow that I have built using SharePoint Designer and Project Online. I connected to Project Online and SPD picked up they workflow Stages I had defined in Project Online. I made sure I was using the SharePoint 2013 Workflow - Project Server Site Workflow option when creating my workflow.

I have been able to create and publish my workflow to Project Online, in so much as it is available to select from the Workflow drop down list when defining a new EPT that uses Workflow. 

However having created a new project that uses my workflow whilst I get the lovely Stage Status PDP along with the graphic showing my project at the beginning of the workflow the State column in the Grid however indicates is it "in progress - waiting for input" - my workflow is incredibly simple, it seeks to just advance through the workflow stages I have defined by submitting to the next stage, no approvals no tasks no fancy things just proceed to the next stage. 

I have checked and the Additional Workflow data page shows the workflow has started - the Workflow Health page shows this as well - however there is nothing in the Workflow History list. 

Before posting this question I did a search of the forum and found some reference articles by Microsoft here and here but they appear to pre-date the advent of Project Online - is there something I need to do in the background to allow Workflows to run in Project Online - my experience with Project Reports revealed that there were things that needed to be enabled to allow this feature to work as anticipated.

Anything to lighten my darkness would be appreciated.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 2:05 PM

Answers

• That is correct you need to write a comment to the WF history (see below) and the workflow should take no longer than 30 seconds to move to the next stage.

but you should always wrap your stages with:

"If Project Web App starts the workflow normally or restarts the workflow and includes this stage"

• Edited by Jeremiah L Wednesday, October 26, 2016 2:31 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Jeremiah L Wednesday, October 26, 2016 5:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dominic Moss Tuesday, November 1, 2016 1:07 PM
    Wednesday, October 26, 2016 2:30 PM

All replies

• Hi Dominic,

Can you paste the workflow here so that we can see if you are missing anything. Also would like to know

- if you are setting/ updating Project custom field (workflow controlled field) value from Workflow.

- Does the workflow stage require a check in (You ca verify from Stage details)? If so try save and checking in the project and re opening the project from Project Center.

Regards,

Sudhir

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 8:23 PM
  • What happens if you submit the workflow to the next stage?

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 9:52 PM
  • Sudhir,

Thanks for your response - I decided to test a very simple workflow - there are no approvals, workflow controlled fields or check-in required just simply submit to the next stage, is there something wrong with my design?

After my experiences with the OOB reports I was I was wondering if there was a background service I needed to enable for the workflow to work properly.

Update - please see my reply to Ben on this thread - any ideas as to why it takes so long to be processed and why there is no entry in Workflow History?

Thanks in advance

Dominic

• Edited by Dominic Moss Wednesday, October 26, 2016 9:07 AM update
    Wednesday, October 26, 2016 8:55 AM
  • What happens if you submit the workflow to the next stage?

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your interest, I just checked this morning and my project has advanced to the next stage of the workflow, I was expecting the workflow request to be processed promptly these are the Entry and Completion dates

10/25/2016 2:51 AM 10/25/2016 7:40 AM

Is it normal for the process to take the best part of 5 hours?

Also there is no record in the Workflow History

Progress of sorts

Kind regards

Dominic

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 9:06 AM
  • Dominic,

I would suggest you to change the first workflow stage condition from 'When project is checked in' to 'When Project is submitted'.

Usually a check in required if you are updating any project custom field value (workflow controlled) from workflow otherwise you can simply use 'When project is submitted'.

Also if you want check in to be enforced then configure the stage properties as mentioned in the screenshot (refer my previous response).

Also sometimes you may not see that workflow has not advanced to the next stage though you had submitted, in such cases 

Click on the Project Name which appears on the top of other PDPs that will take you to the workflow status page and shows the stage correctly.

Let me know if it helps.

Regards,

Sudhir

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 11:09 AM
  • It should just work, I've written and demo'd plenty of workflows, and other than occasional glitches with the workflow service, it all works in near real time.  I'd agree with changing the workflow to wait for the Submitted event.

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 12:15 PM
  • Dear Sudhir,

Thanks for your advice - I may well edit the workflow to be submit not check in on the first stage. I did check the Workflow status on the Project Status PDP and it showed status of awaiting input with an Entry Time but no Completion date in the All Workflow Stages grid, I then checked the Additional Workflow Data to understand more about its status.

At present my workflow appears to be working but the processing takes a long time once submitted when I assumed that with no intrusive approval it would simply progress unimpeded to the next stage. 

When I checked Workflow Status it showed no Workflow History and no Workflow Tasks - given that my workflow has no approvals does it mean that there are no tasks or history to track in these 2 lists?

Thanks again

Dominic

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 1:25 PM
  • That is correct you need to write a comment to the WF history (see below) and the workflow should take no longer than 30 seconds to move to the next stage.

but you should always wrap your stages with:

"If Project Web App starts the workflow normally or restarts the workflow and includes this stage"

• Edited by Jeremiah L Wednesday, October 26, 2016 2:31 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Jeremiah L Wednesday, October 26, 2016 5:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dominic Moss Tuesday, November 1, 2016 1:07 PM
    Wednesday, October 26, 2016 2:30 PM
  • Jeremiah

Thanks for your input, I am learning about Workflow design all the time so your wisdom is appreciated.

My Workflow appears to be performing and processing in line with expectations

Best

Dominic

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 5:53 PM