OOPS put xp msconfig on windows 7 what do i do now? RRS feed

• Question

• Today i did a data transfer from an xp machine to a windows 7 machine ...please dont ask why but i put the msconfig file from the xp to the 7 and overwrote the 7's msconfig file......stupid i am aware...so now when i turn on the  windows 7 machine i can not access c: what so ever wich includes system restore and the msconfig file that i put onto the machine...what do i do
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:19 AM

Answers

• Hi ,

You can perform the system restore through system recovery options at boot.

1. Start or Restart the computer, press F8 every second until you see the Advanced Boot Options.

2. Select Repair your computer and press Enter.

3. Select your keyboard language preferences and click on Next.

4. Select your user name and type in the password, and then click on OK.

5. Select the System Restore option.

If the issue persists, you could repair your system with Windows 7 DVD or System Repair Disc.

1.Boot your computer using Windows DVD, then install Windows dialog appears.

2.Select your preferred settings from Time and currency format and Keyboard or input method boxes, click next.  If using Windows 7 System Repair Disc, System Recovery Options dialog appears instead. Here you can only select the appropriate keyboard layout.

3.Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner. System Repair Disc skips this step and continues with looking for Windows installations.

4.Select the Operation system which need to repair.

5.Then, you need to select an administrator's user name and enter the password.

6.Select System Image Recovery.

More information about Restore your computer from a system image backup, please see: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Restore-your-computer-from-a-system-image-backup

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Wednesday, May 23, 2012 5:18 AM
    Friday, May 11, 2012 7:12 AM