Content deployment breaks links RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone run into an issue where MOSS 2007 occasionally breaks links when content is deployed from one environment to another?

My team runs a MOSS publishing environment that serves as a platform for a large corporate website. For the last year or so I have been trying to track down the source of some mysterious 404 errors that show up in our Google Analytics report on a regular basis. There are several pages that frequently surface as having broken links, but when I scan the pages with Xenu link scanner, everything checks out fine.

One day, though, I caught the page at the right time and found that a bunch of links on our production site were indeed broken. We have some pages that link to a subdomain in this format: http://subdomain.mycompany.com/pagename.aspx?ID=123. Since these links are to non-MOSS pages, they are hard coded. It seems that during the deployment, MOSS was picking these up and reformatting them to just /pagename.aspx?ID=123, as if they were local links to SharePoint pages. This naturally broke all of the reformatted links.

I checked the links in our stage environment, and they were all still written correctly. Once our next scheduled deployment ran, the links magically fixed themselves in production as well.

I'm considering filing this with Microsoft as a potential bug, but I thought I'd check here first and see if anyone has noticed similar behavior.

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, February 15, 2011 4:30 PM Possible MOSS 2007 bug - removed from title. Titles are for problem decriptions. Keep speculation in your texts
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 1:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The Content deployment issue might be related to size of the content taken for deployment.

In MOSS 2007 the contents are first converted into xml and the packed as cab file then finally deployed in the target environment.

When the size more content deployment deployment behaves wrongly and throws an error.

Refer the following Technet blog URL to understand more about the content deployment error

http://blogs.technet.com/b/stefan_gossner/archive/2008/09/03/content-deployment-problems-with-moss-and-iis-7.aspx

Regards

Monday, August 29, 2011 10:54 AM
  • Hi,

Are you running the job from intranet to internet zone?

If yes then check all links (items) expected to get copied is published or not.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 2:22 AM