none
DPM 2012 Tape Backup Issues RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to get long term protection to tape working on DPM 2012 but am unable to.  We are using a Dell TL2000 library which shows up on the management tab, but total drives and free tapes both show as 0.

In device manager I have both the Medium Changer Devices and Tape Drives listed.

I've run the DPMDriveMappingTool in bin folder but when I do several different things happen:

1:) A cleaning job is triggered on the drive

2:) I get the following error: IGNORABLE: GetTapeStatus for the Drive \\.\Tape0 failed, skipping this Drive.Err
    or Code is: 0x80070020, Error Message is: The process cannot access the file bec
    ause it is being used by another process.  The tool then goes onto say it completed sucessfully but nothing shows up under drives.

3:) If I then try and repeat the process, I am unable to stop the DPMLA service because it times out and the only way to resolve that is to reboot the server.

Any suggestions on what is going wrong and why it's not working?

Cheers

Adam.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 9:44 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Please review the following.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmtapebackuprecovery/thread/d72d2648-8fb2-4936-acdc-ce6cb46ffb01/

Drivers are here.

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/DELL-Tape-Library-TL2000-f5e7bd8f

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 4:05 PM
  • Mike,

I can see all the slots and tapes in the slots, it's just the total drives which is displaying 0.  I had a look at the link, downloaded the driver from the gallery link.  When I unzipped them, all the files were 0kb in size...

When I made the registry changes and restarted the device refused to start: Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19).

Any other ideas?

Cheers

Adam.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 4:59 PM
  • Hi,

Please contact DELL for proper drivers.  Also, the registry entries only effect DPM agent, not the windows device, so you must have deeper problems.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 5:30 PM
  • Got it.  A combination of uninstalling the drivers, re-installing the non-exclusive drivers, setting the registry entry RSMCompatMode to 0xd and a a few restarts later both the library and the drive are showing correctly.
    • Marked as answer by adamf83 Tuesday, July 31, 2012 6:40 PM
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 6:40 PM