Windows 7 flips from landscape to portrait RRS feed

• Question

• I don't know if this has happened to anyone but - 

I have several old games ranging from windows 95/98 to XP. Now with the older games (Wacky Wheels, Duke Nukem 1, and DOOM 1) there is a problem with fullscreen mode not being supported in Windows 7. Now after a bit of net surfing I found a program called DOSBOX, that would let me play my old games in it. So I installed, it, and started to play, with no problem. I was delighted.

However, after just a few minutes of playing, my entire screen blacked out, and when it appeared again the whole screen had flipped by itself from landscape mode to portrait mode! Of course, trying to turn your laptop sideways and trying to get the mouse to move in the right direction to change it back was seriously annoying. Thinking it was just a glitch, I started playing again only to find the same thing happened over and over. Eventually, I had to give up playing my beloved games.

Does anyone know how this could be fixed? Is there a way to turn off portrait mode? (It's not like I'll miss it or anything) Before you all tell me to use XP mode, I've already tried that. When you are playing a game through a virtual machine on only 2GB of RAM you just know its not going to to work out. 

If there's some kind of fix I can use to prevent it flipping, or maybe a different program, I'd be greatful to hear it.

Jessie Holloway MCDST
    Friday, April 16, 2010 5:02 AM

All replies

• I've seen a similar issue using dosbox on other versions of windows as well. I resolved this by updating the displaydriver.

besides: 2GB should be enough to run a vm with an old windows/dos version too!

MCSA/MCTS/MCP
    Friday, April 16, 2010 10:09 AM
  • Its a good point, but I have recently just installed a fresh copy of my Windows 7 Ultimate, so all drivers, etc are up to date.
    Jessie Holloway MCDST
    Monday, April 19, 2010 3:31 AM