The file '...*.ocx' could not be registered. Standard User. RRS feed

• Question

• I am having issues allowing an ocx control to be registered in Server 2008 by standard users.  This particular server is using terminal services to allow a handful of users to access a legacy application.

The users attempt to run the program (gui.exe) and they get the error The file '...*.ocx' could not be registered, then of course the gui.exe crashes as its looking for that registered ocx file (GUI_Plugin.ocx).  These files are local in a directory.

As an administrator there is no issue, it just runs.  Likewise if you right click and run as administrator (after being prompted for the admin user and password) it just runs fine.

Seems like I must be missing something very simple.

Things I've tried:

1) Enable download of signed / unsigned active x controls in group policy object: gpedit.msc -> Computer Configuration and User Configuration, in the Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Internet Control Panel\Security Page\Local Machine Zone

2) Logging in as administrator and setting the gui.exe to run as administrator and run in windows xp compatibility mode for all users.  This seems to work but the user gets prompted for an administrator password which they don't have.

So, is there a simple way to simply allow this ocx file to be registered for all my standard users?

Thanks for any help!  Sorry for the noob question.

Cheers.

Spence

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 3:23 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Spence,

Run cmd as adminstrator, type command "regsvr32 c:\directory\GUI_Plugin.ocx".

How to register an ActiveX control (.ocx) manually

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/146219

Regards, Rick Tan
    • Marked as answer by Rick Tan Wednesday, April 27, 2011 1:42 AM
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 7:27 AM
  • Hi Rick and Spence:

Thank you for this tip.

Am going to try this on an issue we are having as well.

In our case we have 6 different ocx files to register.

What if we had 30 users?

Is there a way to do this that I do not have to go and touch 30 desktops?

Thanks.

Monday, November 21, 2011 5:51 PM