CB1802 Distribution Point - Drives showing "No items found"


  • I just upgraded my testlab to CB1802 successfully. 

    My setup includes 1 primary site server with 2 distribution points attached to it. These 2 DPs sit in different AD domains.

    1 day later I noticed in the console "Administration" -> "Distribution Points", one DP which sitting in a different domain, when I click "drives", it shows "no items found". Whereas when I click another DP, it shows correct drive information. Please see screenshot below.

    Besides this there is no error, no warning in the console, everything seems working fine.

    Does anyone know have same issue?


    P.S. when I check in the console, Monitoring -> System Status -> Site Status, that DP which missing Drives Information is not shown, but other DPs are shown correctly.
    • Edited by Min.L Friday, April 20, 2018 4:02 AM
    Friday, April 20, 2018 3:55 AM

All replies

  • Have you checked distmgr.log? My best guess is that the connection account is no longer valid but that is just a guess as noted.

    Jason | | @jasonsandys

    Friday, April 20, 2018 1:22 PM
  • hi Jason, thanks for your reply. I checked distmgr.log. there is no error inside. I even create a package and sent to this DP , all without issue.
    Tuesday, April 24, 2018 7:37 AM
  • Sounds like a one-off issue then.

    You may be able to check smsprov.log a the time you open the view that should show the drives. This should show you the query used to retrieve the info from the DB. Note that smsprov.log shows all console activity so if other are also using a console somewhere you'll see that activity also intermingled so it may be difficult to see the exact query unless you are the only one using a console.

    Jason | | @jasonsandys

    Tuesday, April 24, 2018 2:27 PM