none
Can i setup DirSync in an environment already with "Active Directory" & "Office365"? RRS feed

• Question

• Hey

i have an environment that has its own "Active Directory", and has "Office365" setup for emails. We want to setup "Azure Active Directory Synchronisation" within the domain so that the accounts\groups & passwords can be managed from AD.

i have setup Office365 in environments post AD & DirSync, but never DirSync after Office365.

Any Caveats? Can this be done?

thanks

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 10:13 AM

Answers

• You can do this by following this KB: How to use SMTP matching to match on-premises user accounts to Office 365 user accounts for directory synchronization.

1. Most important is to set the ProxyAddresses in the on premise environment like the e-mail addresses in the Office 365 environment so that a soft sync occurs.
    2. Make the distribution groups, shared mailboxes and contacts in the on prem env.
    3. Activate DirSync in the O365 portal
    4. When the sync runs there will be a soft match where the objectGUID from the AD will be overwrite the ImuutableID and then the cloud object will be managed by the on prem AD.

Please note to use complex passwords in the on premise AD.

| Branko Vucinec | MCSE, MCSA, MCPS
    Blog: blog.brankovucinec.com

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

• Marked as answer by wizz1969 Tuesday, August 4, 2015 1:24 PM
    Tuesday, August 4, 2015 12:55 PM

All replies

• You can do this by following this KB: How to use SMTP matching to match on-premises user accounts to Office 365 user accounts for directory synchronization.

1. Most important is to set the ProxyAddresses in the on premise environment like the e-mail addresses in the Office 365 environment so that a soft sync occurs.
    2. Make the distribution groups, shared mailboxes and contacts in the on prem env.
    3. Activate DirSync in the O365 portal
    4. When the sync runs there will be a soft match where the objectGUID from the AD will be overwrite the ImuutableID and then the cloud object will be managed by the on prem AD.

Please note to use complex passwords in the on premise AD.

| Branko Vucinec | MCSE, MCSA, MCPS
    Blog: blog.brankovucinec.com

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

• Marked as answer by wizz1969 Tuesday, August 4, 2015 1:24 PM
    Tuesday, August 4, 2015 12:55 PM
  • thank-you for your help, i will give it a go
    Tuesday, August 4, 2015 1:24 PM