Installing latest version of WSUS offline RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am attempting to install WSUS on a Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard box.  I'm a little worried as when I was installing WSUS through server manager it didn't seem to indicate a way to install updates offline.  The server I am configuring is to be completely offline and manages a small portion of offline PCs w/ AD.  Configuring such a server without Internet access has been challenging to say the least.

Is it even possible, with this version of WSUS, to upload Microsoft updates manually to then have WSUS disperse out the PCs in the offline AD environment?  It's looking like it may not be possible and I may have to try going with a 3rd party vendor such as BigFix.  Thank you for your help.

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 5:02 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi goeagles,

>The server I am configuring is to be completely offline and manages a small portion of offline PCs w/ AD.

Do you mean even the WSUS server do not have network connection. If yes, then, WSUS server cannot manage updates for clients.

If we use WSUS server to deploy updates for offline environment, at least one WSUS server needs to have Internet connection, then it can sync and download update files locally from Microsoft Update.

In your environment, I would recommend this one:

Wsusscn2.cab:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/kb/926464

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 14, 2016 7:52 AM
  • Hi Anne,

Thank you fro your reply and help.  Yes, this AD environment can't have any connection to the public Internet.  So I just want to confirm.  There is no way I can download updates, put them on a flash drive, and then load them into WSUS to then push out to clients?

Thursday, July 14, 2016 12:41 PM
  • Hi Anne,

Thank you fro your reply and help.  Yes, this AD environment can't have any connection to the public Internet.  So I just want to confirm.  There is no way I can download updates, put them on a flash drive, and then load them into WSUS to then push out to clients?

There is a way to use WSUS for disconnected network outlined in this WSUS guide

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd939820(v=ws.10).aspx

Hope this helps.

Thursday, July 14, 2016 1:32 PM
  • Hi goeagles,

Check "WSUS deployment for disconnected networks" in the article provided by antwesor, you need a WSUS server that can download updates from MU, then export and import them to the WSUS server that disconnected from Internet.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 15, 2016 2:58 AM