none
Flow an attribute based on the change of another attribute. RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to flow an attribute based on the difference between another attribute's current  vs. new value.

For example:
    If the MV (source) "city" is not equal to the target "city", flow "yes" to "hasMoved".  If the MV/target match, make no change to "hasMoved"

I would like to avoid a rules extension if possible.  Can someone provide a sample?

Mike Crowley | MVP
    My Blog -- Planet Technologies

• Edited by Mike Crowley Monday, July 28, 2014 3:53 PM clarified my ask
    Monday, July 28, 2014 2:49 PM

Answers

• Mike, my thoughts would be to set up a request MPR and target your specific city attribute when it changes.  The user object would not have to be in a specific city value set under this scenario.  The city value changes, MPR triggers and fires the workflow for the the first or any subsequent city value changes for a given user.  Your in scope sets would be "All Active People" so you would not have to mess with specific city values to define your set.  As Sylvain pointed out you could try this as well in the sync rule with his suggested macro and see if that fits the need as well.

If this post has been useful please click the green arrow to the left or click Propose as answer

• Marked as answer by Mike Crowley Friday, August 1, 2014 2:01 PM
    Monday, July 28, 2014 4:38 PM
  • Hello,

It's possible if you import the target city into the metaverse.

Flow the source city into "sourceCity" and the target city into the "targetCity"

IIF(Eq(sourceCity,targetCity),"Yes","No") => hasMoved

Regards,

Sylvain

Monday, July 28, 2014 4:17 PM

All replies

• What about writing a MPR that fires when the city value is modified and then just run a straight workflow that sets the value to "hasMoved"?  Another option to consider is writing a rule extension in FIM sync.  Since I am partial to rule extensions method, others may have a better way to do this in the portal.

Scott

If this post has been useful please click the green arrow to the left or click Propose as answer

Monday, July 28, 2014 3:42 PM
  • What about writing a MPR that fires when the city value is modified and then just run a straight workflow that sets the value to "hasMoved"?

MPRs fire when a user enters or leaves a set.  What would the definition of the set be?  There could be any number of cities; and I'm not really looking to define people based on the value of the attribute, only if its changed.

Also, if the user experiences a subsequent change in the attribute, wouldn't they already be in the set, thus they wouldn't trigger the MPR again?

Mike Crowley | MVP

Monday, July 28, 2014 3:51 PM
  • Hello,

It's possible if you import the target city into the metaverse.

Flow the source city into "sourceCity" and the target city into the "targetCity"

IIF(Eq(sourceCity,targetCity),"Yes","No") => hasMoved

Regards,

Sylvain

Monday, July 28, 2014 4:17 PM
  • Mike, my thoughts would be to set up a request MPR and target your specific city attribute when it changes.  The user object would not have to be in a specific city value set under this scenario.  The city value changes, MPR triggers and fires the workflow for the the first or any subsequent city value changes for a given user.  Your in scope sets would be "All Active People" so you would not have to mess with specific city values to define your set.  As Sylvain pointed out you could try this as well in the sync rule with his suggested macro and see if that fits the need as well.

Monday, July 28, 2014 4:38 PM
  • Thanks guys, I'll check these options out and report back.

Mike Crowley | MVP

Monday, July 28, 2014 9:15 PM