none
Best Practice for Resource Pool and Sub Projects RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking for a best practices/guidance for using a resource pool and a consolidated master file (all projects are inserted as linked files into the Master file).

We have determined that we will need a central point of control (project control).  All updates will go through project control for all schedule creations and updates.  I am aware of the dangers of these linkings and hope that we will minimize this through the project control function. 

We have a folder for Active projects, Pending Projects and Closed Projects.  We would like to have the pending and Active projects actively linked to a resource pool for resource planning purposes.  I guess my first question is would it be best to have the pending and active files in the same folder?  I believe the answer is yes, but want some clarification.  Or would it be possible to have 2 resource pool files, one for the active projects and one for the pending, and consolidate them.  One that would give a rollup of the active project resources and one that would give the pending resource and one combined that would roll up all resource usage?

The next question is once an active project has been closed out, what are the proper steps to de-link from the pool and move the file to the closed folder?

Thanks.

Friday, September 14, 2012 9:18 PM

Answers

• Hello CharlieJolene,

I guess my first question is would it be best to have the pending and active files in the same folder?

Yes. That is best.  You absolutely do not want to move or copy files that are attached to a pool file.

Or would it be possible to have 2 resource pool files, one for the active projects and one for the pending, and consolidate them.  One that would give a rollup of the active project resources and one that would give the pending resource and one combined that would roll up all resource usage?

No. I would not create two pools and try to consolidate.  If it is the same resources in the active and pending projects, keep them in the same pool with the same folder.

The next question is once an active project has been closed out, what are the proper steps to de-link from the pool and move the file to the closed folder?

Open the resource pool read-write and the closed project file read-write.  From the Sharer file, click the Resource tab, Share Resources and select "use own resources."  Save the file.  Switch the pool file.  Save the pool file.

I hope this helps.

Julie

• Marked as answer by CharlieJolene Monday, September 17, 2012 1:01 PM
    Friday, September 14, 2012 10:34 PM

All replies

• Hello CharlieJolene,

I guess my first question is would it be best to have the pending and active files in the same folder?

Yes. That is best.  You absolutely do not want to move or copy files that are attached to a pool file.

Or would it be possible to have 2 resource pool files, one for the active projects and one for the pending, and consolidate them.  One that would give a rollup of the active project resources and one that would give the pending resource and one combined that would roll up all resource usage?

No. I would not create two pools and try to consolidate.  If it is the same resources in the active and pending projects, keep them in the same pool with the same folder.

Open the resource pool read-write and the closed project file read-write.  From the Sharer file, click the Resource tab, Share Resources and select "use own resources."  Save the file.  Switch the pool file.  Save the pool file.

I hope this helps.

Julie

• Marked as answer by CharlieJolene Monday, September 17, 2012 1:01 PM
    Friday, September 14, 2012 10:34 PM
  • Thanks Julie.  This confirms my thoughts.

Monday, September 17, 2012 12:59 PM
  • You're welcome and thank you for the feedback.

Julie

Monday, September 17, 2012 1:24 PM