none
Can't Connect to Deployment Share via PXE RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm having trouble with our newest laptop model (Dell Latitude 6440) and starting the Deployment Wizard from a PXE connection.

When booting via PXE:

• I get the Welcome screen just fine.
    • When I click "Run the Deployment Wizard", I get the following error: "No network connectivity is available. Please connect your computer to the network and try again." 
    • ipconfig shows no connection
    • wpeinit.log shows no network devices detected

However, when booting from CD, everything works fine.  This is the exact same version of the boot image, just the ISO instead of the .wim.

I've updated the network drivers several times, but haven't been able to resolve this. Does anyone have any idea why my boot image works fine from CD, but not from PXE?

Thanks so much!
    Rachel

Friday, April 18, 2014 4:59 PM

Answers

• Sounds like a simple driver issue.  At least in MDT, when updating the boot iso, you have to ensure that you enable generation of an updated wim file as well.  You could test this theory by adding drivers to the image manually, in this case get your hands on the network driver inf, put it in a working folder and then add it to the image in an administrative command prompt.  This link will give you further details on the commands required to test this theory -  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825070.aspx

Friday, April 18, 2014 5:33 PM

All replies

• Sounds like a simple driver issue.  At least in MDT, when updating the boot iso, you have to ensure that you enable generation of an updated wim file as well.  You could test this theory by adding drivers to the image manually, in this case get your hands on the network driver inf, put it in a working folder and then add it to the image in an administrative command prompt.  This link will give you further details on the commands required to test this theory -  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825070.aspx

Friday, April 18, 2014 5:33 PM
  • You may also have to remove the boot images from WDS and import them again once regenerated with the new network drivers. You should do this whenever you upgrade the boot images in MDT.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Saturday, April 19, 2014 6:18 PM
  • Thanks, both of you!  I didn't realize I needed to remove/re-add the boot images in WDS.  That seems to have done something, but now the system hangs at "Windows is loading files". 
    Monday, April 21, 2014 6:26 PM