Using SCOM 2007 R2 to Monitor 2008 R2 AD CS RRS feed

• Question

• Guys... I guess you're all fed up of questions like "Is there a management pack for....?" - but being a PKI (not SCOM) person I thought I'd just go ahead and add another one ;-)

I'm working on a project whereby AD Certificate Services on 2008 R2 is being implemented.  We have System Centre Operations Manager 2007 R2 in the estate but it appears there are no AD CS management packs for SCOM - or at least none that we can find.   We have tried importing the "Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Certificate Services Management Pack for Microsoft OpsMgr 2005" (phew!) but SCOM 2007 R2 just doesn't want to know about it (incompatible).

Has anyone found a way around this - or is there a proper SCOM 2007 R2 AD CS pack in the offing?

Additionally: our "SCOM guy" was looking all over the place for the management pack, is there not a single authoritative source (not that I am doubting this guy in any way, hee).

Thanks, Dave

Monday, February 15, 2010 8:47 AM

Answers

• Hey Dave
    You can use a utility called mpconvert to convert older MP's to new one's.  The tool is on the SOCM media.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb309532.aspx

The microsoft pinpoint is the main site for MP's but anyone can make a management pack for scom and so there is no place.  If however you are looking for a MP for Microsoft servers like a CA then you can take it that if there is not a MP on their pin point site then it does not exist.

The other site that has lots of good stuff is here
    http://www.systemcentercentral.com/PackCatalog.aspx

HTH

Paul
    Paul Keely
    Monday, February 15, 2010 12:58 PM
  • Be careful using hte mpconvert tool.  It is not supported and the MP's it creates are headaches in your environmnent.  We deprecated support for this tool after exhausting all approaches to make it work well.  the short answer - MOM 2005 and SCOM 2007 are not the same kind of product and converting is a tough road.  the more effective strategy is to migrate the effective monitoring a little at a time.

As for the ADCS MP, there is one coming - and it gets closer every day.  But there is not one for Server 2008 or Server 2008 R2 today in the catalog - so this will hopefully save you some time.
    Microsoft Corporation
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 3:46 AM

All replies

• Hey Dave
    You can use a utility called mpconvert to convert older MP's to new one's.  The tool is on the SOCM media.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb309532.aspx

The microsoft pinpoint is the main site for MP's but anyone can make a management pack for scom and so there is no place.  If however you are looking for a MP for Microsoft servers like a CA then you can take it that if there is not a MP on their pin point site then it does not exist.

The other site that has lots of good stuff is here
    http://www.systemcentercentral.com/PackCatalog.aspx

HTH

Paul
    Paul Keely
    Monday, February 15, 2010 12:58 PM
  • Be careful using hte mpconvert tool.  It is not supported and the MP's it creates are headaches in your environmnent.  We deprecated support for this tool after exhausting all approaches to make it work well.  the short answer - MOM 2005 and SCOM 2007 are not the same kind of product and converting is a tough road.  the more effective strategy is to migrate the effective monitoring a little at a time.

As for the ADCS MP, there is one coming - and it gets closer every day.  But there is not one for Server 2008 or Server 2008 R2 today in the catalog - so this will hopefully save you some time.
    Microsoft Corporation
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 3:46 AM
  • So... in the gospel of SCOM: Paul giveth and Dan taketh away.  Hee.

Thanks Paul for your advice, and that good stuff site looks interesting - I've already found a certificate management pack I want to play with!

Thanks Dan for comment - I guess I'd better sit on my hands a little longer.  Is there even a "scope paper" for the ADCS pack indicating what "stuff" is contained in the MP being developed (e.g. if all services such as NDES are included, what new counters we get, etc.).  It'd be useful to see if we should even be "bovvered" to wait for it.

Kind regards, Dave
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 8:01 AM