Does File History only backup Changed/Added Files or All Files it's monitoring? RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 10 Pro v1803

I'm sure when I first used File History with Windows 8.x or Windows 10 (can't quite remember) it backed up everything then backed up news files plus copies of changed files.

I noticed the other day loads of files were missing in the File History backup (e.g. many files the Documents folder). I "Turned Off" File History, Deleted the FileHistory folder from my backup drive entirely and also deleted this folder:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory

I restarted the PC and setup File History again. I'm happy with the Default folders it backs up (I Exclude my Music and Video folders).

As far as I can see it's working but it never did an initial backup of the all the folders it's monitoring and as I've not changed much in my Documents folder the past few days it's empty in the File History "Restore personal files" window.

If I change a file this gets backed up and if I add a file this gets backed up.

But it's a pretty useless backup tool if it doesn't do the initial backup of everything. It's only useful if I need to Revert to an older version of a file that's changed since I enabled File History.

OneDrive is also backing up the same folders to the cloud too, not sure if this conflicts with File History.

Thanks
    Monday, June 18, 2018 7:14 PM

All replies

• Hi, 

When did the issue occur?

Did you use a external drive for file history backup?

Try to check if the issue occur with a network path.

According to my know, File History regularly backs up versions of your files in the Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, and Desktop folders and the OneDrive files available offline on your PC. So it will do the initial backup at first. Over time, you'll have a complete history of your files. If the originals are lost, damaged, or deleted, you can restore them. You can also browse and restore different versions of your files. For example, if you want to restore an older version of a file (even if it wasn't deleted or lost), you can browse through a timeline, select the version you want, and restore it. 

By the way, we have not heard any changes on file history in Windows 10 version 1803. 

Bests,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Joy-Qiao Tuesday, June 19, 2018 7:33 AM
    Tuesday, June 19, 2018 7:30 AM
  • Hi,

I don't know when it stopped working.

I went to restore a text file I'd deleted recently to find the Documents folder almost totally empty. I'd created the text file only a couple of weeks earlier earlier, so expected it to be in there in some form. I went back about 2 weeks and it wasn't there. Luckily I was able to restore it from OneDrive's Recycle Bin.

The Documents folder only had (still has) one subfolder where my Outlook PST is stored, which naturally changes often so File History backs this up, that's about it.

Yes an external USB drive. I only have on Surface Pro 4 in the house.

What's weird is it seems to be working but it will never do this of ALL the existing files:

"So it will do the initial backup at first."

It's backing up changed files, so in that sense it's a history but only if new files are added or changes are made "from this point forward".

• Edited by bradavon Tuesday, June 19, 2018 7:37 PM
    Tuesday, June 19, 2018 7:35 PM
  • I forgot to mention I looked in the Event Log. There's very little in the File History section.

- Is it compatible with OneDrive's Files On Demand feature?

BTW I never get emailed when I get Replies the TechNet Forum. Where's the option to get emails when someone replies?

Thanks
    • Edited by bradavon Tuesday, June 19, 2018 7:44 PM
    Tuesday, June 19, 2018 7:36 PM
  • Hi, 

After we turn on file history for the first time, there will be a message "File history is saving copies of your files for the first time" show up. If it not save your files for the first time, try to press "Run now" to saving them.

Then we could check the "Advanced settings" in the left panel of file history, check the keep policy and clean up rule you configured.

Bests,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 21, 2018 8:53 AM
  • Hi, 

I have not heard any conflict between file history and One Drive. 

If we want to get alert from TechNet, we should associate our TechNet account with our email through personal profile in Settings, and press "Alert me" option at the upper of the thread. 

For more information, please see:MSDN/TechNet Forum Issue: My Alert Email Settings Are Not Available from My Profile

Bests,

• Edited by Joy-Qiao Thursday, June 21, 2018 9:04 AM
    Thursday, June 21, 2018 8:58 AM
  • Hi, 

I have not heard any conflict between file history and One Drive. 

If we want to get alert from TechNet, we should associate our TechNet account with our email through personal profile in Settings, and press "Alert me" option at the upper of the thread. 

For more information, please see:MSDN/TechNet Forum Issue: My Alert Email Settings Are Not Available from My Profile

Bests,

Thanks

There is no Settings link on the Forum page? There is one on the Wiki page but not Forum :-/

• Edited by bradavon Thursday, June 21, 2018 5:52 PM
    Thursday, June 21, 2018 5:51 PM
  • Hi, 

After we turn on file history for the first time, there will be a message "File history is saving copies of your files for the first time" show up. If it not save your files for the first time, try to press "Run now" to saving them.

Then we could check the "Advanced settings" in the left panel of file history, check the keep policy and clean up rule you configured.

Bests,

"File history is saving copies of your files for the first time"

This appears for a few seconds then stops. I've clicked Run Now it just repeats the process but no existing files are backed up. Only New files I add or Existing files if I change them somehow.

Save copies of files = 3 hours
    Keep saved versions = 6 months

But existing files never get backed up to start with :(

Thanks

Thursday, June 21, 2018 5:54 PM
  • I know this is a late reply, but I was actually hoping for the functionality the OP was experiencing as opposed to that described by everyone else. I don't need or want file history to do full backups; after all, it's not called file backup. I already have a way of backing things up, and I just want a means of maintaining versions of files when they're modified or deleted. Based on the name of this feature, I thought that's what it would do, but there's no option for it. Not only that, but similar to most other MS products, I find it very problematic and significantly lacking compared to third-party alternatives and, since it doesn't do anything more than they do, I fail to see the point of it, considering they do it better and without the numerous issues I've experienced with it in the short time I've been playing around with it.
    Saturday, December 1, 2018 11:43 PM