Live Meeting Import Failure - PDF with Virtualized Acrobat RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to import a PDF file into Live Meeting 2007, but it fails because my Adobe Acrobat Reader is virtualized through App-V. Live Meeting doesn't see it as installed locally and so wants to convert it to an MDI document and then freezes at 52%. I installed Adobe locally as a test and importing works fine...but that defeats the whole idea of App-V and I don't want to reinstall Acrobat to my 2000 users. Any way to tell Live Meeting that Adobe is present through App-V?
    Monday, September 27, 2010 1:33 PM

Answers

• Once you virtualise Adobe Reader, then Live Meeting is going to have no knowledge of it or PDFs.

If you are also virtualising Live Meeting then you could use DSC to integrate Reader into the Live Meeting package; however if you are virtualising Live Meeting then you're also going to have to virtualise Communicator and Office. DSC only works for primary and secondary package, thus users would be forced to start the primary package first (so which will that be? Office, Communicator, Live Meeting or Reader?).

You could use this method to ensure Live Meeting is launched in the Adobe Reader package: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/johnsheehan/archive/2009/10/08/automatically-launching-local-apps-in-a-virtual-environment.aspx; however it's not an approach that I would recommend for Live Meeting as it integrates with other applications (Communicator and Office etc).

Adobe Reader is a dependancy of too many applications to be virtualised. I think that you would be better off installing it; however someone else here may be able to tell you differently.

• Marked as answer by Arnold Gagnon Tuesday, September 28, 2010 12:42 PM
    Monday, September 27, 2010 3:20 PM

All replies

• Once you virtualise Adobe Reader, then Live Meeting is going to have no knowledge of it or PDFs.

If you are also virtualising Live Meeting then you could use DSC to integrate Reader into the Live Meeting package; however if you are virtualising Live Meeting then you're also going to have to virtualise Communicator and Office. DSC only works for primary and secondary package, thus users would be forced to start the primary package first (so which will that be? Office, Communicator, Live Meeting or Reader?).

You could use this method to ensure Live Meeting is launched in the Adobe Reader package: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/johnsheehan/archive/2009/10/08/automatically-launching-local-apps-in-a-virtual-environment.aspx; however it's not an approach that I would recommend for Live Meeting as it integrates with other applications (Communicator and Office etc).

Adobe Reader is a dependancy of too many applications to be virtualised. I think that you would be better off installing it; however someone else here may be able to tell you differently.

• Marked as answer by Arnold Gagnon Tuesday, September 28, 2010 12:42 PM
    Monday, September 27, 2010 3:20 PM
  • Thanks Aaron. We found nothing so far except to either open the pdf in the virtualized reader and then share the program or save the pdf from reader to mdi format (using the Live printer) and then import. This type of problem is only going to get worse as more and more apps will be virtualized.
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 12:42 PM