Outlook profile broken, why? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an in-house exchange server 2016 std, on a win 2016 std, and 7 client computers using outlook 2013 or 2016 (not  365).

On one of the computers (win 10 pro, outlook 2016, nearly new), outlook didn't start and tells:

"Impossible de démarrer Microsoft Outlook. Impossible d'ouvrir la fenêtre Outlook. Impossible d'ouvrir l'ensemble de dossiers. Échec de la tentative de connexion à Microsoft Exchange"

(impossible to start outlook, impossible toopen the outlook window, impossible toopen folders set. Failure attempting  to connect toms exchange). The  computer is fine, network is fine, reboot didn't help. I recreated outlook profile and it works now.

But I'm afraid to have to do it often.

1. Can someone tell me what can cause this?

2. On some computers, it happens that outlook starts a connection to microsoft account and asks for user microsoft account's password (as it is not the same than the exchange password). Is it related to above problem? Can someone explain me how to avoid this?

Kind regards,

Alain

Alain Bourgeois

Monday, August 19, 2019 8:27 PM

All replies

• Hi Alain,

>>1. Can someone tell me what can cause this?

As this issue was fixed by a new profile, it could be related with Outlook settings or corrupted data file. Although this is a new environment, some registered settings could also possibly become broken. Because there are many settings in a profile, it's hard to tell which one was related.

>>2. On some computers, it happens that outlook starts a connection to microsoft account and asks for user microsoft account's password

What do you mean by "Microsoft account"? outlook.com?

Do you sign in Office using this account? Please check this via File > Office Account. We can sign out and then sign in again to see if it helps.

You can also repair Office on problematic clients to test the results. To do this, please go to Control Panel > Programs and Features. Right click your Office suit and then choose Change. Click Repair.

Recreating profile is a general and easy way which helps solve many issues. If you have further concern, please feel free to post here. We are willing to help.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 8:10 AM
  • By Microsoft account, I mean the microsoft account that is used to activate office 2016 on client computer (an e-mail and a password registered on ms web site, for each computer).

Alain Bourgeois

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 4:17 PM
  • By Microsoft account, I mean the microsoft account that is used to activate office 2016 on client computer (an e-mail and a password registered on ms web site, for each computer).

Alain Bourgeois

Does this issue only occur on specific computers? Or randomly?

Have you tried repairing Office and a new profile? Does it work?

If these clients still ask for Microsoft account's password, please re-registry these clients to see if it helps.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 6:52 AM
  • 1. Recreate profile: it happened randomly on 2 computers (new) in two weeks

2. typing ms account password: it happended on one of the computers above + on another one. I gave the ms account password to end-users so that they can type it if asked.

Alain Bourgeois

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 7:44 PM
  • Hi Alain ,

As this issue occurs randomly, it's hard to directly tell the root cause. When pop-up window appears, what if we click Cancel or close the dialog, will Outlook or Office become unlicensed?

Please also have a look at the Event Viewer when the issue occurs and see if any fault module will be recorded there so we may do more research.

Regards,

Perry

• Edited by Perry-Pan Sunday, August 25, 2019 5:43 AM
    Sunday, August 25, 2019 5:43 AM
  • If there are anything else I can do for you, please feel free to tell us.

Regards,

Perry

Wednesday, August 28, 2019 7:46 AM