none
Windows Server 2008 R2 network shares unavailable to users but shares still available locally RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I was hoping someone could assist.  Randomly, about once a week but no particular day or time, the windows shares will become unavailable to users over the network but when I log on locally the shares are available.  This is happening on a couple of Windows 2008 R2 servers.  Users' machines are on Windows 7.

The setup is as follows: we use a VMware environment, the volumes are presented to the Windows server via iSCSI from a cloud device.  The cloud device uses local SAN storage as cache and any data not accessed within a year is stored in the cloud.

Essentially, the server just sees one volume but behind the scenes hot data is cached locally for performance and cold data is stored in the cloud.

At first the shares became unavailable because we had a certain version of SEP installed.  SEP was removed and the problem seemed to have been resolved but unfortunately, it was not.

The server is used by about 200 users.  Only a reboot makes the shares available again.  Restarting any services does not help.

Has anyone had this problem and know of a fix?

Thanks for reading.

Monday, July 13, 2015 2:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I have several questions regarding this issue.

1. When you say "logon locally the shares are available", how do you test the share - \\Servername\share, \\localhost\share or? - I ask this because I cannot confirm if the IP or server name will work.

2. When the issue occurs, can you ping the target server successfully? We also need to confirm if it is actually a network issue. If Ping IP will work, test to access with \\ServerIP instead of \\servername to see if it will work. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 9:51 AM
  • Hi,

Many thanks for your reply.

When I log onto the server using mstsc I test the share using \\Servername\share and it is successful.

Also, the server is still live, I can ping it successfully.

To be honest, I cannot remember if I have tested the share remotely using the IP.

I'll definitely try that next.

Thanks again.

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 12:38 PM
  • Hi,

In the meantime please also remember to disable all firewall and security application when the issue occurs. If it still exists, please help capture a trace with network monitor. You can upload your package to OneDrive so that we can download it. 

Note: It will be shared to public when you upload it to OneDrive and share. 

How to use Network Monitor:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/812953

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 15, 2015 3:00 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your email.

The firewall is disabled and currently there is no AV on the server (this is bad i know).

I did come across this link though, https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e9567167-22db-4b8c-9f96-a08b97d507f9/server-2012-r2-file-server-stops-responding-to-smb-connections?forum=winserverfiles

I'm going to change our VM nics from E1000 to VMXNET3.

I'll also use the Network Monitor to capture the traffic.

Kind Regards

Wednesday, July 15, 2015 3:00 PM