App-V sequencer crashes on win7 enterprise x64 when "collecting system changes" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I am trying to sequence Bloomberg, everytime i install the app it installs fine via the sequencer, but when i tick "i have finished installing" and hit next ...the sequencer beings it "collecting system changes" cycle...and shortly after that the sequencer crashes

I've tried this on multiple win7 x64 images, all built in different ways...ie some installed from usb some installed from win7 dvd, all with different programs and updates installed...so i cant seem to pinpoint the cause for the hang?

any advice?

I have tried bit 4.5 and 4.6 sequencers.. same result 
    Monday, January 30, 2012 11:06 AM

Answers

• Ok, ive got the log file, reading through it now...is there anyway of contacting the MSFT app-v team? I am working for bloomberg and we have many many requests from clients on how to get our software working with app-v...not having much luck so far
    Contact PSS and they should be able to put you through to the right people

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, January 30, 2012 9:53 PM
  • Hello,

Under Windows 7 it is not possible to sequence .NET Framework - as part of the installation there are several things laid down relating to this.

Check this folder;

C:\blp\Wintrv\Smartclient\vboot.4

I don't have time actually mapping out what it places on the system, I suggest you do that and see if it resolves the issue by avoiding running that installer during sequencing.

There seems to be several things that might not be so good in including a sequence - I suggest you determine what this installer actually does

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Monday, September 10, 2012 7:24 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Does the sequencer-log files tell you anything?

What does Bloomberg install?

Monday, January 30, 2012 11:22 AM
  • Hi Znack,

Where can I find the sequencer log files?  this is the first time I've used this product. Bloomberg is a financial market data application

you can get the .exe from their website..

http://bdn-ak.bloomberg.com/software/trv/sotrt01092012.exe

Monday, January 30, 2012 11:42 AM
  • Ok, ive got the log file, reading through it now...is there anyway of contacting the MSFT app-v team? I am working for bloomberg and we have many, many requests from clients on how to get our software working with app-v.
    • Edited by rossworth Monday, February 27, 2012 3:18 PM
    Monday, January 30, 2012 11:53 AM
  • Hello,

Googling for app-v sequencer log-files gave me this;

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc843645.aspx

Unfortunately I don't have access to a vm or computer where I can install the application.

Monday, January 30, 2012 11:54 AM
  • Ok, ive got the log file, reading through it now...is there anyway of contacting the MSFT app-v team? I am working for bloomberg and we have many many requests from clients on how to get our software working with app-v...not having much luck so far
    Contact PSS and they should be able to put you through to the right people

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, January 30, 2012 9:53 PM
  • Thanks Aaron, who are pss? how do i get in touch with them?

Ross 
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 1:36 PM
  • Hello,

See this link,

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/profsup/en-au

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 6:19 PM
  • I don't know the specifics of your app, but you can try this trick.  Before you fire up your sequencer, disable any services that start with "Windows Presentaaation Foundation Font Cache". 

I have had a few .Net4 apps that I had to sequence this way...

Thursday, February 9, 2012 2:28 AM
  • On behalf of sysadmins supporting Bloomberg, I'd like to thank you for researching this. Do you know what the eventual plans for documentation release would be? A recipe would be worth its weight in gold.
    Monday, February 27, 2012 3:11 PM
  • Hi Rossworth, all ........... did you come up with a recipe for App-V ? A colleague contacted Bloomberg support last week and they had nothing to offer.
    Saturday, September 8, 2012 6:47 PM
  • Hello,

Under Windows 7 it is not possible to sequence .NET Framework - as part of the installation there are several things laid down relating to this.

Check this folder;

C:\blp\Wintrv\Smartclient\vboot.4

I don't have time actually mapping out what it places on the system, I suggest you do that and see if it resolves the issue by avoiding running that installer during sequencing.

There seems to be several things that might not be so good in including a sequence - I suggest you determine what this installer actually does

Monday, September 10, 2012 7:24 AM