none
In a domain a policy regarding usb block

Question

• I have created a DC and created usb blocking policy and added client members (win 8.1) . The policy is working good by blocking usb drives(removable storages) but it was also blocking remaining drives (D:\,E:\) and showing error Access Denied .

please give me suggestion.

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 1:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    First of all, here is an article regarding to block USB via group policy, you could compare your GPO with it to see if the policy settings are configured correctly:
    https://prajwaldesai.com/how-to-disable-usb-devices-using-group-policy/
    Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.
    If the local drives are also blocked, for me, I would check if there is another group policy configured, such as Prevent access to drives from My Computer policy.
    In addition, in order to check if D/E drive is blocked due to the USB GPO, you could unlink this GPO and then see if D/E drive could be accessed.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, February 16, 2017 6:30 AM
  • Hello wendy,

Actually i applied the group policy on the users Group Policy Management Editor. Navigate to user Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\System\Removable Storage Access.

can we apply the policy on the computers present in my domain ?

NOT working on Computers too!!
    • Edited by prudhvi_k Thursday, February 16, 2017 11:35 AM
    Thursday, February 16, 2017 9:13 AM
  • Hi,
    User Configuration is user policy settings and will only affect user accounts which the GPO is linked to. If you want to apply user settings to computers, you may take a look at loopback mode in the group policy.
    Group Policy loopback is a computer configuration setting that enables different Group Policy user settings to apply based upon the computer from which logon occurs.
    You could see more details from:
    Circle Back to Loopback
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askds/2013/02/08/circle-back-to-loopback/
    Windows Server: Understand “User Group Policy Loopback Processing Mode”
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/2548.windows-server-understand-user-group-policy-loopback-processing-mode.aspx
    Best Regards,
    Wendy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, February 20, 2017 9:36 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved? If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Wendy

Friday, February 24, 2017 8:53 AM