Remove or Customize Categories for Service Manager 2012 SP1 SSP RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to control the display of the category drop down on the SCSM 2012 SP1 SSP? I would prefer to not display it at all, since users generally pick the wrong classification. However, if I could even just restrict it to the top level categories only, that would be great. I have seen ways to hide category on the 2010 SSP, by editing webpart source code, but I'm not sure if anything similar is possible in 2012 SP1.

Thanks,

Andrew

Andrew Topp

• Edited by androidtopp Thursday, March 28, 2013 4:16 PM
    Thursday, March 28, 2013 4:15 PM

All replies

• Hey,

What I have done for customers is create an incident extension class and added a Customer Classification property using the authoring tool.  I make the datatype list and create a Customer Classifications list.  I seal the MP (very important) and then import the MP into SCSM.  The new customer classification list shows up in the Lists section and I add my customer selections that I want.  I modify the Generic Incident Request (EN) and remove the default incident classification to add my customer classification and map it to the new property. 

There is no real benefit to doing something like this, unless you want to route more effectively based on their initial selection.  You could just as easily remove the classification since you could just as easily set the classification when tier 1 gets the incident and reviews it.

Thanks!

Bob

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 11:21 PM
  • Hey,

What I have done for customers is create an incident extension class and added a Customer Classification property using the authoring tool.  I make the datatype list and create a Customer Classifications list.  I seal the MP (very important) and then import the MP into SCSM.  The new customer classification list shows up in the Lists section and I add my customer selections that I want.  I modify the Generic Incident Request (EN) and remove the default incident classification to add my customer classification and map it to the new property. 

There is no real benefit to doing something like this, unless you want to route more effectively based on their initial selection.  You could just as easily remove the classification since you could just as easily set the classification when tier 1 gets the incident and reviews it.

Thanks!

Bob

What impact does this have on OOB reports? And can you provide xml code for it?
    Saturday, October 26, 2013 5:39 PM
  • I've done the same as Bob, however to take it one step further, ours are the same as the top level options (in spelling) and I then use SCORCH to put this data in as the classification for the specific incidents / requests. This would allow the use of OOB reports etc.

Sunday, October 27, 2013 9:01 AM
  • Remember, this is for "Customer" classification.  Typically having a customer classify their own problem is a problem in itself.  That is why my "Customer Classification" is top level classifications (E-mail, Hardware, Printing).  There really is no use for this data outside of some sort of group or routing to the service desk and in fact that data is really useless to me since the customer selected it.  (i.e. E-mail problem could have been an authentication problem, etc.)

Instead, the service desk would classify everything.  This insures the trending and reporting is more accurate.  The Service Desk team would typically know more about how to classify it anyway compared to the user.

Thanks!

Bob

Monday, October 28, 2013 9:58 PM