Removing the last Exchange 2003 server from an Exchange 2010 organization RRS feed

• Question

• We're in the process of decommissioning our last Exchange 2003 server, I have proceeded through the steps in the Microsoft guide on how to do this and have deleted both the Mailbox and Public Folder stores, removed the RUS policies for Domain and Enterprise.

All mailboxes and public folders are now homed on the new Exchange so nothing resides on the old Exchange 2003 server.

I have today inserted the Exchange 2003 media into the Exch 2003 server and chosen the remove action, but it keeps telling me;

'The component "Microsoft Exchange Messaging and Collaboration Services" cannot be assigned the action "Remove" because: - One or more users currently use a mailbox store on this server.

I checked the server by searching ADUC and also checked this KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279202 and nothing shows up.

I also checked this article on someones blog but no such luck http://smtp25.blogspot.co.uk/2007/04/having-trouble-to-uninstall-exchange.html

However someone made a comment that the used an ADSIedit query (&(objectCategory=user)(msExchHomeServerName=*)) however I am unsure how to do this in ADSI.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks!

Friday, May 18, 2012 8:33 AM

Answers

• However someone made a comment that the used an ADSIedit query (&(objectCategory=user)(msExchHomeServerName=*)) however I am unsure how to do this in ADSI.

That is a query that you would create in ADUC.

Martina Miskovic

• Marked as answer by HudsonManx Friday, May 18, 2012 8:57 AM
    Friday, May 18, 2012 8:46 AM

All replies

• However someone made a comment that the used an ADSIedit query (&(objectCategory=user)(msExchHomeServerName=*)) however I am unsure how to do this in ADSI.

That is a query that you would create in ADUC.

Martina Miskovic

• Marked as answer by HudsonManx Friday, May 18, 2012 8:57 AM
    Friday, May 18, 2012 8:46 AM
  • That actually worked, I ran the command in ADUC and it showed one account which had a mailbox which was never logged on.
    Friday, May 18, 2012 8:58 AM
  • Great one..
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 10:36 AM
  •  

Fantastic post ... thank you so much!

I found three active directory users account using that search which never had a mailbox assigned to them.  I removed the exchange attributes from each account and the uninstall proceeded flawlessly!

Thursday, May 30, 2013 11:19 PM
  • Great Help!

Thank you.  This query saved me a lot of time.  Found a user that was never given an email address.

Thursday, September 5, 2013 7:03 PM
  • This worked perfectly!

Thanks

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 8:16 PM
  • An even easier way- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555147
    • Proposed as answer by Robiom Thursday, August 27, 2015 4:55 AM
    Wednesday, January 22, 2014 5:27 PM
  • Thanks your tip worked great solved my problem.  Note that you need to use the Exchange enabled version of Active Directory Users and Computers which is found on the Exchange 2003 Server itself, not one of the Domain Controller servers.  I selected all the users found using the suggested Custom Search query, deleted their Mailboxes first, and then removed all the Exchange attributes, in that order.  What's remarkable is that those users did not have any Exchange mailboxes at all so nothing showed up in Exchange System Manager Logons or Mailboxes listings.  Once their AD attributes were stripped the Exchange 2003 "Remove" option became available.  Thanks again!

anthony maw/vancouver/canada

Saturday, August 12, 2017 3:50 PM