Windows 7 support bugs for paths longer then 256 characters RRS feed

• Question

• I have opened an account just to post to this forum in hopes the below will be submitted as a bug ticket and to potentially save others from DAYS of frustration.

It relates to 256 path length limit which now a days I believe can be very easily reached; I did when attempting to restore my 'Users' folder backups.

Here are some peculiarities that I have noticed:

1. Windows copying service would crash/fail silently when attempting to copy my Users folder backup to my new user's account Desktop folder.

- it would be "preparing to copy" and just silently fail --- no errors in the windows logs either.
     - copying the backup to the root of my new drive should technically work as the path limit would not be reached but I also had the copying silently fail during 'preparing to copy' --- any idea why? 

2. Coping the folder with utility like FastCopy http://ipmsg.org/tools/fastcopy.html.en worked HOWEVER:
    - the folder properties view (right click on folder > properties) only shows totals for paths less then 256 characters.
    - moving the folder to the root of my drive and checking properties results in the correct summary values --- see attached image that shows the same folder (but in a different root directory) with different summaries. 

Feel free to ask for more info.

Daniel

Saturday, October 22, 2011 3:35 PM

Answers

• Hi,

That’s the limitation of folder name.

Path limit is 248 characters.
    And Path+Filename limit is 260 characters.

Please refer:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365247(v=vs.85).aspx

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, October 31, 2011 10:05 AM
    Monday, October 24, 2011 2:08 AM