none
how to create project pipeline or proposal workflow RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i am working on portfolio management, please guide how can i develop project proposal intake process which has custom business approval process and different people to accept each stage. once project proposal approved by steering committee proposal ready to become project.

following is example

iffi

Thursday, January 17, 2019 10:39 AM

All replies

• iffi --

It sounds like you want volunteers to do all the work for you.  I doubt anyone is willing to do that for you.  However, following are some high-level steps you will need to do:

1.  Create enterprise custom Project fields that can capture the information you need to know about each new proposed project.  For example, you might want to create an enterprise project Cost field named something like Proposal Cost to capture the proposed cost of the project.

2.  Create a project template for each type of project used in your organization.

3.  Create new Project Detail Pages (PDPs) or modify existing PDPs to include the default and custom fields you need to capture for each new proposed project.

4.  Create one or more custom SharePoint workflows that align with your organization's intake process for different types of projects.  In each workflow, create stage gates or approval steps which will either lead to the next step in the workflow, or which will terminate the workflow (such as when a proposed project is rejected).  Add the relevant approvers to each approval step.

5.  Create an Enterprise Project Type (EPT) for each type of project that might be proposed in your organization.  For example, you might create PDPs for software development projects, product development project, infrastructure projects, and the like.  Include the relevant PDPs, the relevant SharePoint workflow, as well as the project template in each EPT.

6.  Require that all new proposed projects are created from the Project Center page in PWA by clicking the New button in the ribbon and selecting the correct Enterprise Project Type for the new proposed project.

The other way to accomplish this is to hire a qualified Project Partner to assist you with developing this process.  In the end, hiring a Project Partner could save you time, money, and frustration.  My company, Sensei Project Solutions, is one such Project Partner.  Or, you could also purchase our book, The Ultimate Application Administrator's Guide for Project Online, as this book contains documentation for all of the steps you will need to follow to set up a formal project intake process.

Just a few thoughts.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, January 17, 2019 3:08 PM