0x0000001A RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I recently bought a Dell XPS 630i.  I have been having problems with a BSOD in which I receive a MEMORY_MANAGEMENT error.  I phoned DELL and I talked with them, we did a test on the system memory and no error showed up.  I also ran the Windows Memory Test and it did not show an error.  Eventually Dell told me to reinstall my OS because the OS had to be the problem.  When I reinstall the OS everything goes along find until I get to the screen where it says "Please wait while Windows checks your computer's performance".  When the progress bar is about halfway complete I receive the same error message MEMORY_MANAGEMENT with the error code 0x0000001A.  At this point the machine reboots, asks me for configuration information again (such as my name, password, time zone) (by the way I can't use the same username it says the username I entered is already in use) and then finishes installing windows.  I have tried reinstalling four times and every time this happens at approximately the same spot (I say approximately because there is no % complete to say it is at exactly the same spot).  The machine continues to be unstable (crashing to BSOD with MEMORY_MANAGEMENT error) at least once a day.  Does anyone have any ideas what maybe causing my problem.  I am guessing it is not a hardware problem because Dell & myself ran hardware diagnostics with no errors returning.

I have an XPS 630i with 4GB RAM.  I have Windows Vista Ultimate SP1.

Thanks for any help.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 2:01 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Do you meet the MEMORY_MANAGEMENT with the error code 0x0000001A while reinstalling Windows Vista OS? Also, how did you perform the reinstallation? Is it a repair installation, or a brand new installation?

According to the error message, it should be a blue screen issue or stop error issue. Since Windows system uses separated user mode and kernel mode memory space, stop errors are always caused by kernel portion components, such as a hardware device, third-party drivers, backup software or anti-virus services (buggy services).

The system goes to a blue screen because there is some exceptions happened in the kernel (either the device driver errors or the service errors), and Windows implements this mechanism: When it detects some errors occur in the kernel, it will kill the box in case some more severe damage happens. Then we get a blue screen or the system reboots (it depends on what the system settings are).

Also, based on my research, generally speaking, if a certain blue screen error always occurs during cleanly installation on a computer, it is very likely due to a hardware device issue.

You may only plug one memory bank onto that computer, remove unnecessary devices such as printers and then try the installation again. If possible, please also ask the Dell engineers to test the other related devices, especially the motherboard.

If the issue occurs during a repair installation, to troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. A suggestion would be to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

I hope the problem will be resolved soon. Thanks!

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 10:40 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Do you meet the MEMORY_MANAGEMENT with the error code 0x0000001A while reinstalling Windows Vista OS? Also, how did you perform the reinstallation? Is it a repair installation, or a brand new installation?

According to the error message, it should be a blue screen issue or stop error issue. Since Windows system uses separated user mode and kernel mode memory space, stop errors are always caused by kernel portion components, such as a hardware device, third-party drivers, backup software or anti-virus services (buggy services).

The system goes to a blue screen because there is some exceptions happened in the kernel (either the device driver errors or the service errors), and Windows implements this mechanism: When it detects some errors occur in the kernel, it will kill the box in case some more severe damage happens. Then we get a blue screen or the system reboots (it depends on what the system settings are).

Also, based on my research, generally speaking, if a certain blue screen error always occurs during cleanly installation on a computer, it is very likely due to a hardware device issue.

You may only plug one memory bank onto that computer, remove unnecessary devices such as printers and then try the installation again. If possible, please also ask the Dell engineers to test the other related devices, especially the motherboard.

If the issue occurs during a repair installation, to troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. A suggestion would be to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

I hope the problem will be resolved soon. Thanks!

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 10:40 AM
  • Hi I did receive the MEMORY_MANAGEMENT with 0X0000001A while reinstalling Windows Vista.  I performed a brand new installation when I received this error.  The blue screen says STOP: 0x0000001A.

I phoned Dell again yesterday and we ran several diagnostics including booting using each of my 4 memory chips separately and no problems occured.  After 2 1/2 hours of troubleshooting the Dell technician decided to send me a new motherboard.  I will post if this fixes the problem after the new motherboard arrives.

Thanks for the response.
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 2:49 PM
  • Please perform the above steps, and update me with the results at your earliest convenience. If you need additional information on this issue, feel free to let me know. It is my pleasure to be of assistance.

Please update me with the results at your earliest convenience. If you need additional information on this issue, feel free to let me know. It is my pleasure to be of assistance.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 9:59 AM
  • Several days ago I had the Dell technicians come out and replace my motherboard and this did not solve the problem.  Today they came out and replaced the memory, processor & video card, this did not solve the problem either.  They are no going to send me a brand new machine.  I will let you know the results of this.  

Just out of curiosity, my machine has 4GB of RAM.  I have a 32-bit machine.  I realize that Windows will only use roughly 3.2 GB out of the 4GB. Could having too much RAM be the cause of this problem?

Thanks
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 9:49 PM
  • Smaller your RAM (2GB might be suitable) to test the issue. If the issue persists, you should go on to make a phone call to Microsoft customer service to solve the problem in timely manner. Thanks for your time and understanding!

Friday, October 3, 2008 2:55 AM
  • Hi ,
    i have the same problem with my dell inspiron 1720 notebook. the same error occures and blue screen is displayed . smcintyr_11 v if you solve the problem please post it in the forum , because i tried several updates and reinstalls of OS ,but blue screen is beeing displayed again . 

thanks
    Friday, October 3, 2008 6:32 PM
  • smcintyr_11:

I've had the same problems with the same Dell machine (630i with 4-GB RAM, etc.), fresh out of the box last week. I've gone through the same steps on my own and with Dell, except replacing hardware.

Have you gotten any new results since this last posting?

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 5:08 PM
  • Hi, I also have a 630, but i'm getting this error when running Windows XP Pro sp3.  I have run the windows memory test with various DIMM configurations 1 GB, 2, 3, and all 4.  When running the test with all 4 Dimms i get i have more than 4 GB and the memory mapping is not correct and will only test what it can recognize (4 GB) and i have 4 X 1 GB sticks.  The only time i'm getting this stop error is when patching Blizzard's World of Warcraft after successfully installing. 

Did the swapping the motherboard fix your problems? 

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 6:40 PM
  • I tried running with 2GB RAM and 1 GB RAM I continually ran into the same problem.  The technicians came and replaced my Motherboard, Processor, RAM and Video card and I still had the problem.  Finally Dell sent me a new machine.  I have tested it out today and everything appears to be running fine as I am not getting stop messages every couple of hours, or during installation.  The second technician who came to replace parts for my machine said he thought it may be hard drive related (after all HDD do have Cache, but this is just a hypothesis).  Anyways my solution is a different machine.

Thursday, October 16, 2008 12:42 AM
  • This seems to be a confluence of events. I'd tried several combinations of swapping chips or booting with 1-, 2-, 3-, or 4-GB combinations in different slots. I also tried different variations of Dell Factory Image Restore and boots from the Windows DVD. I won't go on about my online chats, phone calls, and email communications with Dell. See earlier for more details.

Ultimately (based on smcintr_11's earlier post), I convinced Dell to send me a complete replacement tower. I received it this afternoon, and I'm OK so far. Supposedly the system is the same, but I see "subtle" differences in hardware/software versions. I guess my solution was a "different" machine, too ;-)

I'll post more if my forthcoming experiences seem useful.

Thursday, October 16, 2008 3:32 AM
  • I have a custom C.P.U. which i got from a friend of mine a while ago, and recently upgraded a Graphics video card, Power supply, a new Hard Drive ( replacing the old one) and 1 stick of RAM of 2G ( all adding up to 3G). When trying to install Windows 7 i was getting the following error : 0X000000BE. When i kept getting this error i removed the graphics video card and the stick of RAM of 2G and now got this error : 0x0000001A

I'm going nuts!!!  
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 5:03 PM