Onedrive files opened as local files, not cloud files in Office - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/forum/odwork-odedit/onedrive-files-opened-as-local-files-not-cloud/cd097dc4-5f93-4969-9dc4-e1fb38b3acde RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, as avised on Microsoft Community, reposting my question (and solution) here!

Link in subject (with images).

When ever I open files from my Onedrive folder, Word/PowerPoint/Excel are opening local copies of the files, and not cloud copies. 

This is frustrating since I cannot collaborate on files opened like this.

HOWEVER, if I go File -> Open from Onedrive in Office, it DOES open the online version.

I know this used to be the behavior - has something changed in Win10 Anniversary Update?

ALSO - Onedrive Settings -> Office -> Sync Conflicts is grayed out, and I cannot change the settings.

I have tried:

• Repair One Drive
    • Quick and Full repair office
    • Sign into Windows with MS Account
    • uninstall/reinstall onedrive

What is the issue?

===========================

RESOLUTION I FOUND

===========================

Figured out a fix to the issue somehow!!

Edited file C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\settings\Personal\ClientPolicy.ini and changed:

CoAuthMinimumProtocolVersions = winword.exe|16|4|43|44|D;winwordd.exe|16|4|43|44|D;excel.exe|16|4|43|44|D;powerpnt.exe|16|4|43|44|D;visio.exe|16|4|43|44|D;

to

CoAuthMinimumProtocolVersions = winword.exe|16|0|43|44|D;winwordd.exe|16|0|43|44|D;excel.exe|16|0|43|44|D;powerpnt.exe|16|0|43|44|D;visio.exe|16|0|43|44|D;

And it fixed the problem!!

But why did it?? Is this a bug in Onedrive for Win10?

====================================

Regards,

Steve.

Saturday, October 1, 2016 9:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for sharing your solutions and experience here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

However, no wonder if you sync the OneDrive files, it indeed opened via the local cache not cloud.

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 1:53 PM
  • Hi,

I believe one drive is looking for a minimum version of Office but for some reason that minimum doesn't exist.

Do you know who can help on root cause?

Thursday, October 6, 2016 11:48 AM
  • When ever I open files from my Onedrive folder, Word/PowerPoint/Excel are opening local copies of the files, and not cloud copies. 

This is frustrating since I cannot collaborate on files opened like this.

HOWEVER, if I go File -> Open from Onedrive in Office, it DOES open the online version.

Hi Steve,

If you open the file via office program's file ->Open as below:

When you choose the OneDrive location marked red, it would open the file online, since this location point to OneDrive website online.

However, if you choose This PC / Browser -> Onedrive location, it would open local cache. Since it open the file.

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 8:37 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Monday, October 17, 2016 6:34 AM
  • Hi,

No. The problem is not resolved. I have a workaround, but I accidentally discovered and described above, but I want to know the ROOT CAUSE.

It seems my workaround gets undone every few days also.

Monday, October 17, 2016 6:42 AM
  • Hi,

No. The problem is not resolved. I have a workaround, but I accidentally discovered and described above, but I want to know the ROOT CAUSE.

It seems my workaround gets undone every few days also.

Steve,

Did you read my previous post?

As I said before, this is design and reasonable.

About the sync conflicts options, one of my lab machine is available, another is not. I need more time to do research. Please give us more patience.

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 8:40 AM
  • Hi Karen,

Yes I did read the reply. I can confirm youreceipt workaround works.

No worries, take your time. I can keep applying my fix in the mean time. Please let me know if you need any further information.

Cheers!

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 9:24 AM
  • We do have the same problem. I wonder if a solution has been found for this.

It makes no sense that to open the file on the cloud I have to go via File Open in Excel and cannot click on the icon on my File Explorer. Also note that if you open the file via https:// and someone else is using it, excel prompt you about this and suggest to opne in read-only, if you open the same file clicking on the icon Excel doesn't recognize that someone else is using it (so conflicst, create two files etc).

Moreover editing ClientPolicy.ini  doesn't work for me as it is in a different format.

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 2:26 PM