[SOLVED] Thumbnails disappeared for some contacts in People app: contacts displayed without their thumbnails RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

All of a sudden, some of the contacts in my People hub have lost their thumbnails that have been there since Windows Phone 7. I did NOT remove these contacts neither did I change anything. It appeared all of a sudden. Almost all of the frequently used contacts (this might be an important note) are now listed without a thumbnail in the People hub.

Any clues?

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...

Friday, December 16, 2016 12:14 PM

Answers

• Solution

Check if the contacts that have lost their thumbnails are linked with contacts from other accounts. If so, unlink them and... link again.

In short, it seems like only the main Microsoft account (the one used to login into Windows) stores the thumbnails. My other guess is that only the original account (that one to which the linked contact was added in first place) stores the thumbnail.

This is ridiculous. However, unlinking contacts helped me to restore thumbnails for all the contacts that lost the thumbnail. Moreover, eventually I have found out that some unlinked accounts are linked to their copies multiple times (depending on how many accounts that share same contact you have added to Windows).

So it goes like this:

Contac A -

|

Contact A -  Contact A

|

Contact A

|

Contact A - Contact A

My guess is that some duplication and extra inclusion occurs as a result of synchronization between my PC, laptop, and two Windows Phones.

Whole story here.

Conclusion

Avoid cases where the same contact stored in multiple accounts that you want to add to Windows. Put all eggs in one basket to avoid contact duplication.

Related issue

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 1:11 PM

All replies

• Are the thumbnails still listed on webmail?

If so try a reset of the People app, Start > Settings > System > Apps & features, select People then Advanced options then Reset. See if that helps.

Sunday, December 18, 2016 7:22 PM
  • Are the thumbnails still listed on webmail?

If so try a reset of the People app, Start > Settings > System > Apps & features, select People then Advanced options then Reset. See if that helps.

The thing is, all the people on mail.outlook.com/owa do not have their thumbnails. Even those that have on the phone.

More over, some of the contacts on the phone appeared with the thumbnails on the phone just today. All of a sudden. Still the very same accounts are still listed on mail.outlook.com without their thumbnails.

I could think that thumbnails on the phone appeared due to some local cache on the phone. If only the phone wasn't the brand new phone that never had any of my contacts in its memory before.

So account thumbnails appear and disappear all of a sudden. If this were only on one of my phones, I'd think that was a glitch with the phone. But this happens so with all of my phones (which is only two of them).

I wonder, if there's any place online on profile.microsoft.com or mail.outlook.com where I could have a look at the whole list of my contacts? I have multiple mail accounts on my phone, and this may be the cause.

Monday, December 19, 2016 9:01 AM
  • Solution

Check if the contacts that have lost their thumbnails are linked with contacts from other accounts. If so, unlink them and... link again.

In short, it seems like only the main Microsoft account (the one used to login into Windows) stores the thumbnails. My other guess is that only the original account (that one to which the linked contact was added in first place) stores the thumbnail.

This is ridiculous. However, unlinking contacts helped me to restore thumbnails for all the contacts that lost the thumbnail. Moreover, eventually I have found out that some unlinked accounts are linked to their copies multiple times (depending on how many accounts that share same contact you have added to Windows).

So it goes like this:

Contac A -

|

Contact A -  Contact A

|

Contact A

|

Contact A - Contact A

My guess is that some duplication and extra inclusion occurs as a result of synchronization between my PC, laptop, and two Windows Phones.

Whole story here.

Conclusion

Avoid cases where the same contact stored in multiple accounts that you want to add to Windows. Put all eggs in one basket to avoid contact duplication.

Related issue

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 1:11 PM