SharePoint search returning documents of a specific type first, over publishing pages and other document types? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a sharepoint environment with an Intranet using MOSS publishing features in one web application, My Sites and three separate applications containing several team & collaboration site collections.  They are all using the same SSP.

Recently when a search is performed from any of these sites (publishing or team) the results returned were primarily Word documents.  Looking through the pages it is exclusively Word documents but you you eventually see publishing pages and other document types that matched the criteria.  In the past we would see a mixture of document types and publishing pages returned on the front page, and in many searches performed I would expect to see the Intranet publishing content to come out more favourably than a Word document that might contain just one minor mention to the word(s) being searched on.

Today the iFilter for Adobe PDF documents was installed and configured and we are now finding that PDF documents are coming out before any other documents and publishing pages.

We have a test environment that mirrors the production environment (same database from a couple of months ago) but this issue does not occur.  Searching does return a mixture results from different document types.  I can not see any significant configuration differences in Central Admin between the two environments.  We also installed the iFilter on the test environment and that did not cause any of the issues found on the production server.

We have tried running full crawls but there is no change in the search results.

Is there any configuration that gives preference to document types that would be bringing back PDF and Word documents in preference to publishing pages and other document types?
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 10:00 AM

All replies

• Post search questions directly to the Search forum.

Moving this.
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 11:33 AM